Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - EL34 vs EL84
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

EL34 vs EL84

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiznik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: EL34 vs EL84 Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I want to know your feeling about Marshall-like amps with different powers.
this subject has been already touched upon, but I want to know what is your thinking about the diffference in Tone between an amp with two EL34 (basically 50W) , the same with four EL34 (like a 100W) and the "same" with two EL84 which would be in the area of 30W.

I feel the EL34's have similar tone, only the power is different,
but I can't succeed to have the same tone with the EL84's.

Nicolas
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I'm not a tube expert. I've always used 100 watt Marshall style heads with EL34's, or Fender amps with 6L6's. I don't know if I've ever heard an EL84 or 6CA7, which I guess are the other Marshall style power tubes.

Maybe someone on this forum can answer your question better than I can.
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that EL 84 produce less bass. I had a Mesa boogie amp that had el 84s and I tried the same amp with 6l6s and there was much more bass with 6l6s.
A good experiment if you are around a music store that has dr z is try a maz 38 and a z luxe. They are the same front end but One has el84 and the other 6v6 which sounds to me pretty close to a 6l6. Or a current Mesa boogie combo(I forget the name) that comes with either 6l6 or el84 with the same front end. Maybe you won’t like those amps but it will give you an idea of the difference in the same circuit.
Rolly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm not a tube expert. I've always used 100 watt Marshall style heads with EL34's, or Fender amps with 6L6's. I don't know if I've ever heard an EL84 or 6CA7, which I guess are the other Marshall style power tubes.

Maybe someone on this forum can answer your question better than I can.

The badger 18 and 35 are el84 amps. The 30 uses el34.

Have you had a chance to check out the revamped design with the mosfet boost yet? Curious to see if your impression of the badger would change with the new versions.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should've known that - I have a 35. I haven't heard the new versions, and I haven't used my Badger in a long time so I should probably see if it fits somewhere on the new album. Class A amps are very weird sounding to me - they're so not what I'm used to. That being said, there are some things they do better than class AB amps and I should use mine more often, especially when layering.
Rolly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I guess I should've known that - I have a 35. I haven't heard the new versions, and I haven't used my Badger in a long time so I should probably see if it fits somewhere on the new album. Class A amps are very weird sounding to me - they're so not what I'm used to. That being said, there are some things they do better than class AB amps and I should use mine more often, especially when layering.

Yeah the new ones are pretty cool. He built a high voltage mosfet boost into it so you can push the amp from the front and not have to crank the amp gain/drive up to get there so the result is that it’s a lot tighter and not as fizzy as it would be if you tried to crank it. I bet you’d dig it.
Wiznik

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The 6L6's have a clean and articulated sound, with great bass and lot of harmonies, but is mid-scooped. It doesn't fit my playing and I don't like them with high gain tone.

I prefer EL34's for my main tone, but as I am in search for a new amp in low power, I have tried similar amps like the Victory Sheriff 22 (EL84's) and Sheriff 44 (EL34's). I have thought that they were very similar but not at all.

The EL34's doesn't have so rich frequencies, have low basses, but their mids seem to be perfect for the guitar.

It's seem to me that the EL84's have an acid and singing tone with early compression and seems to be great for crunchy tones (like in a Vox).
And as it has less power than the EL34's, it enables to gain the tone at a lower volume. But, I suspect them not to be pedal friendly and I have a bad feeling playing with them.
I will try other amps to refine my feeling, cause of course tubes is an important part of the tone, but the technology of the amp and the HP too.

Thanks again for help
Red Suede

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6CA7=Military grade EL34
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: