Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Attenuators
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Attenuators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Attenuators Reply with quote

Hey Scott

I know you are going the lower wattage amp route for lower volume.
I was curious if you have tried any other attenuators besides the dr z one?
I tried that one and I didn’t like it either. I am curious what is out there. I know Suhr was making the Jim Kelley attenuator for a while.
Thanks Scott
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I gave up on that idea - I wanted John to make a low watt version of the SH-100 because I was thinking about playing in LA more, at smaller places and playing standards or whatever. Then I realized I'd rather be home practicing or composing, plus if I do those little gigs I have a Fender HRD and it sounds fine for that.

I've never heard a good sounding attenuator and that includes the Kelly, which isn't anything special. If you need to turn down, a smaller amp is the way to go.

Or if you're into tech, you could go big amp > load box/ IR combo > small power amp > 1x12 cab. Seems like a lot of trouble for a small gig - I'd just use a 1x12 combo.
dizzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that makes sense.
I might try the fryette powerstation because that includes a power amp in it. Seems like a simple way to do what you described with a load box/power amp.
Does anyone use the power station on the forum who is reading this?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the power station - I haven't tried it but I've heard from people I trust that it's the only attenuator gizmo that actually sounds good.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Here are my 2 cents - yes, my Power Station seems the only things able to extract my amp juce and reamping it with not noticeable changes in tone, thanks to its built-in power amp. No other attenuator does it.
Consider that PS' PA uses 2 6L6s.
Consider also that, whether your amp (like mine) is an old school guy, or a vintage replica, so that it has no FX loop, the PS may help with its FX loop set in the middle, between your amp and its PA.
Gorgeous peace of gear, changed my life

Cheers
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...oh well I forgot to say that, since the Fryette PS has an high impedance input, you can also hook up you guitar straight in and get a decent clean jazzy tone out of it.
But what amazes me is that you can throw in the PS PA (-> FX return input) anything else beyond a real amp, getting big benefits from the warmth of a real tube PA!
Hook up the guitar to your tiny iPhone and launch Garage Band (just to name one), chose whatever guitar tone, take the earphones output and throw it in the PS... You won't believe your ears!
This has teached me that it is way better, when there are NO 'classic' tube amps around, to have tubes in the PA stage (using a digital source, or a SS preamp) than the way around (e.g. a tube pre on a SS PA).
Last but not least: PS can also make that small amp you love, praciticing every day with at home, play louder, pushing it to gig level!
In this sense it is a different animal than simply an attenuator.
And it's tiny...

Cheers
PS I do not have any link with Fryette company Wink
dizzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m definitely going to try one out. Sounds like a very cool unit!
dizzy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power station is amazing! I just played with it in my house so I guess I shouldn’t make a judgment but it was pretty amazing to get my jtm45 and sd9 cooking at low volume.
Scott, if you try one out I’ll be interested to hear what you think. It has an effects loop too. And there is a depth knob that can make a 1x12 sound fatter.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'm glad you found something you like. I haven't heard any negative remarks about it from anyone. I'm not really in the market for a quieter amp but I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: