Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - jinshi
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

jinshi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: jinshi Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

You once said that among Kinsey's tunes, you like Jinshi.
I love it too. Landau is really great on it. It always blew my mind how they could speed up and slow down together so smoothly (because the speed varies a little almost between each note played, so how can all members of the band be perfectly in time, unless they're brain-sync or something like that ?)
Then I listened to it live at the BP (with a guy called Scott Henderson on the guitar, if I remember well). Great too. But I noticed the tempo is always the same all along the song (compared to the album version, the band sound like in a hurry).

So I'm wondering : did they play it like that on the record and Kinsey played with the tempo on his computer, or did they actually slow down and speed up together while playing? (I don't even know if you know, but I ask though).

keep on wankin'
Kevin
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we played it on the road, Kinsey wanted the tempo change sometimes and sometimes not, and we played it at many different tempos - it was never a computer tune. Our tempo change version was just as smooth as the recorded version with Mike. It's just a feel thing - no way to scientifically discuss it, you just practice it until everyone's on the same page. Definitely one of my favorite Kinsey tunes.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer.
I have to say that I would have been a little disappointed to learn that there was computer involved in the process. And since it's not that way, I have to say I'm really impressed.

For sur it's all about playing together and feel. What I meant is that it'as changing all of the time, it's not "look at me I'm speeding up", then cruise, then 30s later, "look at me I'm slowing down", cruise again. Really challenging!
I don't even think I could name any other tune where this happens. Could you?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I've always had a few tunes in the set which gradually slow down for the ending - same thing, just practicing for awhile on how much and then everyone gets it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: