Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Vamp solo
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Vamp solo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sermorel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Vamp solo Reply with quote

Hello, Scott !

When you are soloing over a vamp for sometime, do you try to keep your lines and ideas in "boxes" of ,let's say, 4 or 8 bars ?? That's our natural tendency,right ? To play ideas in multiples of 4. Do you think this way or you don't get stuck in this musical boxes ?

Man, solo over one chord can be much harder than playing over changes....Depending on the changes,of course... Rolling Eyes

Thank you, Scott.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking in even numbered bars may be our natural tendency but it usually doesn't work over long vamps because it boxes you in and makes you play in a way that doesn't fit the situation. Listen to Bitches Brew, the grandfather of one chord vamps - lots of space, and hardly any 4 or 8 bar phrases played by anyone. They don't treat it like a 16 bar standard, and neither should we. In Tribal Tech, sometimes it wasn't even the number of bars which was ignored, it was the bar itself. No 1234, just 111111111111.
sermorel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Scott.

Sometimes it's hard to think freely and ignore some stuff that you grow up used to it. I saw Tribal Tech at MI in the early 90's and you guys played Footprints. The solos were like that,very out,but the form of the tune was kept. Amazing ! I'm trying to figure it out till this day !
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I'll admit to getting lost sometimes when the phrasing got really out, especially from Covington. I see a lot of musicians tapping their foot when they play across the bar line or play fast rubato phrases - I think it helps and that's what I do. I think playing vamps is more difficult than playing changes - I've heard some bebop players who easily play over changes but can't play over vamps - it requires a different kind of creativity and "thinking outside the box". A changes tune kinda plays itself - a vamp needs a solo that not only has good lines, but it's own compositional quality. It's not difficult to play good lines on a vamp, but seeing the big picture and playing a whole solo which really tells a story over a vamp is hard! I feel like I'm successful at it about half the time. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: