Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Reactive Load into a mic preamp before interface
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Reactive Load into a mic preamp before interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rifflord

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reactive Load into a mic preamp before interface Reply with quote

Hey Scott I just read in another comment that you run your reactive load into a 1073 pre. Just curious how you are setting the levels between the 3 devices in that chain (RL > PRE > audio interface pre). You have the knob on the RL cranked 100% correct?

Are there any other module based mic pre's out there you would recommend for this purpose?

I hadn't given any thought to the mic pre in my particular chain here which is a Twin into the RL into MixIR2 (with a couple pedals ofcourse)

thanks man I drive a lot for a living and I've been listening to a lot of the wank episodes with you on them. It's really cool that you're still around doing your thing. I used to have one of your VHS tapes back in the 13th century and I guess I didnt know until recently that you were still so active. When is the newest CD coming out and can I get it on vinyl?

all the best dude
Rifflord

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also which pre are you using exactly? the 1073LB?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the preamp I use, but mine has two channels - maybe they don't make it anymore. I don't know much about mic pre's - this is the one I've been using for a long time.

http://www.baeaudio.com/products/1073mp

My Apogee Rosetta has no volume controls, so I turn the RL all the way up and then boost it just a little more with the 1073 until I get the right amount of level going to my DAW. For some reason, even with the RL turned up all the way, it's not quite enough signal for Digital Performer. Maybe Pro Tools is different, I don't know.

Vibe Station is my newest album and the new one will probably be released in Jan 2019. Vinyl is hard to ship - very expensive. I haven't done it because I'd have to charge a lot to make any profit at all.
Rifflord

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there were some way to make it more profitable for you. for someone who has worked so hard on their tone it just seems like a natural fit, but I totally understand. Only so many hours in the day and you have to use your time wisely.

Have you ever had vinyl copies made just for yourself? Just to see how your mixes sound on it? Manic Carpet is the first thing I'd listen to
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl isn't just expensive to ship, it's expensive to make. You have to order 500 before you get a price break. If I thought I could sell that many I'd do it but i'm sure I'd have to charge over 40 bucks each after printing and shipping costs.
Rifflord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Vinyl isn't just expensive to ship, it's expensive to make. You have to order 500 before you get a price break. If I thought I could sell that many I'd do it but i'm sure I'd have to charge over 40 bucks each after printing and shipping costs.

I get it. Only so many hours in the day, man... Forgive me if I am wrong but, I believe you said on guitar wank that you run all your tracks through tape anyways right? The final mix that is???

I've thought about investing in an old TEAC reel-to-reel for my home studio just for this purpose. Here is a comparison video for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2quieLxCE0

My ears are loving the difference there. I could almost see myself allowing MORE highs than usual in my mix knowing that it's going to get rounded off when it gets sent to tape in a very pleasing way...Is this essentially what you do?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the music on tape is what Joe Gastwirt did when he mastered Vibe Station. I wouldn't know how to do it, and I don't have a tape machine. It does make a huge difference - even running at 96k, computer projects don't sound as warm as tape. We recorded Well to the Bone on computer, but Mike Landau mixed to half inch tape. Now with the huge improvements in plug-ins, outboard gear isn't needed and mixing can be done by bouncing to disk, so the tape transfer has to be done in mastering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: