Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - guitar cover
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

guitar cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: guitar cover Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I was listening to this today, and and realized Paul Gilbert did something quite like your HBC covers: replace everything with the guitar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkXG4QnbqlQ
I know you're not a huge fan of him (though I think you have much respect for him than some other "guitar gods" I won't mention here), and you don't like being asked to judge any other musician. So I'm not asking for any comments. I just thought that you might be interested, since the song is great, and I think he did a great job, which is similar to what you did.
Enjoy! (or not)

Kevin
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fun song to cover, and you can tell he had a great time doing it! I was living in Birmingham Alabama in the '70's and all the bands coming to the favorite rock club there were covering Roundabout - that was my first introduction to prog rock.

The only thing I'm not used to is how loud the drums are in the mix, and how small the guitar sounds. Not singling out Paul because he's a great musician, but the mixing and guitar tone for that style of music kinda bugs me. Listen to Deep Purple or any of the early bands - the drums were never that loud, and the guitars were fat! Anyway, Paul did a great job on that tune!

Check out Casualties of Jazz on YouTube - it's a jazz organ trio that plays a lot of Black Sabbath tunes - awesome!
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're fun. Do you know if they behead pigeons on stage. That may not look jazzy.

About Roundabout, it sounds like they enjoy it, you're right. I'm not bothered by the drum sound level, but that's very subjective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: