Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Pink Floyd
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Pink Floyd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petar

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I was just kidding about the major chords - of course the Beatles and many great writers use them. I just thought on that tune they were used in a particularly hideous way. Yeah, Sheep is more my style but they'll never be one of my favorite bands - I like Gilmour's tone though.

I've never let my knowledge of complex harmony get in the way of being able to enjoy simple music. I'm just kinda bored with the current rock scene and have been for a long time. I listen to Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix - I guess Van Halen was the newest band to come out that I really liked. I never got into the metal thing much, and when I hear bands like U2 it makes me wanna throw up. I'm confused as to how music like that gets popular. Oh well, to each his own.

U2 is not music. 8 bit nintendo music sounds better than them.
When i become president in the one world government, i will outlaw their music.

Since we are both Deep Purple fans, i safely assume that you are talking about the Ritchie Blackmore period.
Which is your favorite lineup, with Gilan/Glover or Coverdale/Hughes?
I can't make up my mind, i love both.

- George Carlin
jbear

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even close to being a U2 fan, but I'm not about to judge those who are. To each his or her own. We have enough of that mentality in this world. Sorry...I don't mean pontificate, but...feel like I gotta say it.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from being a U2 fan. But... I have to admit that they've done a few songs which I did like a lot (and yes, they've done thousands of songs in which they repeat the same shit again and again), and I like Bono's voice.

And mostly... before saying their music isn't worth a euro, I would try to remember that Sir Paul McCartney himself wrote this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR9Q3MHHiPA
dizzy

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2 is one of those bands that annoy the shit out of me because of what they represent to me—-self righteous pre-Christian rock.

2 things I always liked about u2—-The modulated rhythmic delays in the context of a power trio is an appealing sound to me. Also, I like the producer Daniel Lanois— I like that I was introuced to him through U2 even though I don’t like u2.
He produced a Neville Brothers album that I love. And he had a very cool band with Brian Blade on drums—-I forget the name.

I guess these are all separate from their music.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Dizzy, I love Daniel Lanois. I don't know him much, but I gave a listen to the album with "Jolie Louis", because I loved that song so much. The rest of the album was different, but I liked it. I would say it is somewhere like 10 zillions light years aways from Scott's music, and another 10 zillions from U2's noise. (and his name's Daniel!)

By the way, since Allan Holdsworth recorded an album with level 42, I'm still waiting for a SH/U2 collaboration.
If they can get Dennis Chambers and Jeff Berlin to record with them, I would call the album "HUB2C". If not, the Scott can call Victor Wooten and Steve Smith, and do a "Tribal Information and the fleck2".
Whatever the name, I want to hear that! (Truly, I'd like to see Scott's face if he had to share the stage with them Very Happy )

PS: Did someone talk about Pink Floyd here? Sorry for the diversion.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. To tribalfusion, I know Ian and he's a very talented musician, but I just can't compare any of those bands with Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple. I guess it's the writing - they thought of it first and that whole 60's/ 70's era was such an incredibly creative time for rock music. I think most of the great tunes have already been written. Rock has evolved since then, but in my opinion it's been more about chops than songwriting. In case someone is thinking I'm a jazz snob, I see the same problem in jazz music - great new players but very few great new jazz compositions.
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. To tribalfusion, I know Ian and he's a very talented musician, but I just can't compare any of those bands with Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple. I guess it's the writing - they thought of it first and that whole 60's/ 70's era was such an incredibly creative time for rock music. I think most of the great tunes have already been written. Rock has evolved since then, but in my opinion it's been more about chops than songwriting. In case someone is thinking I'm a jazz snob, I see the same problem in jazz music - great new players but very few great new jazz compositions.

I see the same problems for sure and I knew you weren't going to like a newer band as much as Purple or Zep, I wondered whether you might at least find them interesting or listenable.

Also, I know we generally don't listen with the same mindset that we had when we were younger and I wonder how much THAT impacts how we are hearing newer music today beyond its intrinsic qualities.

For whatever it's worth, I think you'd like at least some of the writing (for rock) from that group Avatarium or Big Wreck as well as Opeth if you don't know them. They at least descend from rock that you actually do like.

Not that I think it should be a priority for you to listen to anyone per se but wouldn't you like to hear some decent rock every once in a blue moon that you haven't already heard a billion times before?

I'm mostly focused on different music myself but for the odd moment when I would like to hear rock played at volume by an actually existing band, I'd like to be able to go hear SOMETHING (and the older guys are winding down unfortunately)

I wonder if this stuff from Opeth would do anything for you with that in mind. Here's a tribute they wrote for Blackmore and one other tune but they have a wide range from super heavy to prog or folky-ish and might be of interest to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx1Pqpn75xk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSpqLqC7U6g

As always, thanks and I remain curious to see if I am able to find any rock post 1979 you can at least stand listening to for a few minutes!
dizzy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tribal fusion:
I’ll be interested to hear the ones you posted. And I’ll also be interested to hear Scott’s reply.

Speaking of modern rock bands:

The only post Led Zeppelin rock band that I have heard(and I haven’t listened to the ones you posted yet)and still love is Sound Garden.
I like the Police too. The Clash?

I guess for me the problem is that Led Zeppelin and some other 70s bands were so great that hey are hard to top.
Kind of like trying to play straight rock guitar after Eddie Van Halen.
Gonza

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for post 80's rock I think you'll find this pretty tasteful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih8l1q6mfgo

It sounds from the 70's even though it's from like 2013 or something.

Recommended hearing it at a a loud volume, but prepare yourselves!
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy wrote:
Tribal fusion:
I’ll be interested to hear the ones you posted. And I’ll also be interested to hear Scott’s reply.

The only post Led Zeppelin rock band that I have heard(and I haven’t listened to the ones you posted yet)and still love is Sound Garden.

I guess for me the problem is that Led Zeppelin and some other 70s bands were so great that hey are hard to top.
Kind of like trying to play straight rock guitar after Eddie Van Halen.

Wow Dizzy, that's pretty extreme! No rock group post 1969 is to your liking or no group post-dissolution of Zep?

While I'm not gung ho for modern rock (like others, when I started to heavily study and play jazz and fusion it became far less significant to me anyway) even so I would find it somehow very sad to not have any rock in my life at all except records from 50 years ago. I think there's potentially a lot more to rock than just reproducing Zep or Van Halen though.

I did pick some groups with elements of things I know Scott likes for a few different reasons but even they are not just reproductions of Purple or Zep and if we include the whole history of rock (I was trying to pick stuff from past several years) there's plenty I think is worthwhile which is not Zep, Purple or Van Halen as much as I like them.

I imagine a lot of people like the Beatles. Squeeze sure wrote some clever and well put together pop/rock in that mold. Less original in many ways of course but I don't necessarily only want to listen to the Beatles anyway.

I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure how this is completely different from people who think that fusion and modern jazz was all a mistake (I bet you have met some people like that; I know I have). Or people who listen to Keith Jarrett or Richie Beirach and just say, thanks but I already have Bill Evans for example or why do I need Pat Metheny when I have Jim Hall or why do I need Liebman if I have Coltrane etc.

I look forward to hearing your feedback on the groups I sent in the meantime. The singer for Avatarium has one of the best heavy rock and bluesy voices I have heard in ages and the band sure has a Blackmore feel here and there for people who like such things (I do).

Opeth have done a lot of different stuff so maybe skip around besides the 2 tracks I sent. One of those I again sent for the Blackmore connection and since I know what rock Scott likes so I was aiming at what I know of his tastes. If I knew more about yours, perhaps I could suggest something more specific.

I can't imagine though that someone who likes Soundgarden a lot wouldn't find Big Wreck to be pretty cool (I much prefer the writing in Wreck typically) and there's no comparison from a guitar perspective at all as far as I am concerned.

I just wonder if the period in which people are exposed to different things is playing a bigger role than some of us recognize.

Cheers
dizzy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tribalfusion"][quote="dizzy"]Tribal fusion:

Kind of like trying to play straight rock guitar after Eddie Van Halen.[/quote]

Wow Dizzy, that's pretty extreme! No rock group post 1969 is to your liking or no group post-dissolution of Zep?

While I'm not gung ho for modern rock (like others, when I started to heavily study and play jazz and fusion it became far less significant to me anyway) even so I would find it somehow very sad to not have any rock in my life at all except records from 50 years ago. I think there's potentially a lot more to rock than just reproducing Zep or Van Halen though.

I did pick some groups with elements of things I know Scott likes for a few different reasons but even they are not just reproductions of Purple or Zep and if we include the whole history of rock (I was trying to pick stuff from past several years) there's plenty I think is worthwhile which is not Zep, Purple or Van Halen as much as I like them.

I imagine a lot of people like the Beatles. Squeeze sure wrote some clever and well put together pop/rock in that mold. Less original in many ways of course but I don't necessarily only want to listen to the Beatles anyway.

I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure how this is completely different from people who think that fusion and modern jazz was all a mistake (I bet you have met some people like that; I know I have). Or people who listen to Keith Jarrett or Richie Beirach and just say, thanks but I already have Bill Evans for example or why do I need Pat Metheny when I have Jim Hall or why do I need Liebman if I have Coltrane etc.

I look forward to hearing your feedback on the groups I sent in the meantime. The singer for Avatarium has one of the best heavy rock and bluesy voices I have heard in ages and the band sure has a Blackmore feel here and there for people who like such things (I do).

Opeth have done a lot of different stuff so maybe skip around besides the 2 tracks I sent. One of those I again sent for the Blackmore connection and since I know what rock Scott likes so I was aiming at what I know of his tastes. If I knew more about yours, perhaps I could suggest something more specific.

I can't imagine though that someone who likes Soundgarden a lot wouldn't find Big Wreck to be pretty cool (I much prefer the writing in Wreck typically) and there's no comparison from a guitar perspective at all as far as I am concerned.

I just wonder if the period in which people are exposed to different things is playing a bigger role than some of us recognize.

Tribal fusion

I didn’t express it right—-I love bands like Van Halen and Janes Addiction and Tool. And I’ll probably dig the ones you posted too.
I was more saying that trying to objective—-I don’t think anyone has topped some of the 70s rock bands.
But that is problematic too because what does “topped” mean anyway.
It is hard to be objective—-I think you are right that it has to do with when you grew up. I grew up in the late 80s and 90s—those were my formative music years—-so I like sound garden and the police and Scott Henderson for that matter.
Good topic!
tribalfusion

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy wrote:
I didn’t express it right—-I love bands like Van Halen and Janes Addiction and Tool. And I’ll probably dig the ones you posted too. I was more saying that trying to objective—-I don’t think anyone has topped some of the 70s rock bands.

But that is problematic too because what does “topped” mean anyway.
It is hard to be objective—-I think you are right that it has to do with when you grew up. I grew up in the late 80s and 90s—those were my formative music years—-so I like sound garden and the police and Scott Henderson for that matter.Good topic!

Ah, that makes sense now. The original rock canon so to speak is way up there for me too though there might be some disagreements around the edges as to what that actually is (bands like Gentle Giant and King Crimson are also in there for sure for me too). I generally wouldn't put very much after the golden age in there but there are a few I think worth mentioning.

Back to recent examples based on your tastes: if you like Tool, the guitarist from Avatarium & drummer from Opeth have a group called Soen which should appeal to you & there's obviously Opeth too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1pi7Dn87mY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7TGH1j7AVI

A musician who likes Soundgarden likely would dig Big Wreck as well as King's X (Blackmore & Andy Summers are both big fans of them as were many of those grunge guys). Both have more 'musicianly' aspects than Soundgarden as far as I am concerned and Dug Pinnick is a soulful singer which is so rare in rock from the 80s onward. I prefer both to Soundgarden actually & both are still around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0XDSkFLYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYx50Y5hkKA

I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

Thanks!
junkyard

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole conversation is so relevant to me at this point in my life, because I’ve honestly been trying to figure out if my brain is entering the grouchy old man stage, because there’s very little I hear that’s new that does anything for me. Unless it’s kind of “specialized” listening, like when I listen to Scott or Landau, I’m listening in a studious kind of way, trying to figure out how I can bring tiny bit of their magic into my playing.

Or a completely niche kind of thing: I went on a decade-long blues kick like everyone else did in the nineties, and I *really* dug the releases on Fat Possum like R.L. Burnside and Junior Kimbrough. But as far as mainstream rock, I will dig something like Opeth’s new prog-rock direction for a few weeks, then I lose interest. I listened to their newest album several times, actually bought the vinyl, but I couldn’t sing you one vocal melody or guitar riff right now to save my life. And I actually really dug it! But I can sing you every song including the guitar parts and drumbeats of every single Zeppelin tune. And you guys know you can as well. So what is that? I just think Led Zeppelin were a truly special group of musicians that captured something really amazing, and it only happens once in a while. I did just think of two newish bands that I think are amazing: Radiohead and The Flaming Lips. I listened to How? from Flaming Lips’ last album about 1000 times in a row last year. I bet Scott would dig that tune Laughing

Back when we were young,
we killed everyone,
If they’d fuck with us,
with our baby guns.

Priceless.

https://youtu.be/unLnJvzf-So

plus they covered the whole album of Sgt Pepper and Miley Cyrus is on it and it’s fucking amazing.

But they’re old farts too, well not Miley, obviously
junkyard

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I take all that back, there are new releases I dig. I spend most of my time these days listening to Longmont Potion Castle, and I think pretty much everyone should also do that. You know, for your own sake. Mental and emotional health.

https://youtu.be/igWd3xjFkAE
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to a little bit of all the clips and didn't find anything to sway me from my opinion that they just don't make music like they used to. If that sounds like grouchy old man, it's fine with me. I don't think anyone since has created great catalogues of music like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Rolling Stones - I could go on but everyone knows the bands I'm talking about. Those are extremely hard acts to follow. It's like Weather Report and Tribal Tech - we were a good band but Weather Report did it first, and with a superior catalogue, at least in my opinion. That doesn't mean there isn't a place for the Tribal Tech's and Opeth's of the world, but to compare them to the masters? Nope.

To answer tribalfusion's question about the reason for me liking those old bands because I grew up with them: Maybe that's a small part of it, but I'm absolutely 100% sure that if I heard Whole Lotta Love for the first time right now, I'd like it a hell of a lot more than any clip posted on this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: