Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - New Amp - Wattage and Speaker Decisions
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

New Amp - Wattage and Speaker Decisions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikoo69

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: New Amp - Wattage and Speaker Decisions Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

I play small/medium sized clubs, and am debating which route to take

I am going to be getting a Komet amp and there are 2 options I am considering now. Wondering if you had any advice; while I know you aren't familiar with Komets, though this question has to do with wattage and speaker cabinet size in general for small/medium sized clubs

I am looking at their K60 head which is 2 EL34s rated at 60 watts (cranked apparently it puts out up to 100 watts).

Komet also makes a cabinet called an Ambikab which is a closed back 2x12 (w/ G1265s) and 2 10 inch speakers for Stereo (or mono) Wet signal (built in power amp for the wet effects).

Though I am considering a "Low Powered" custom version of the K60 custom as I don't play huge rooms, and would possibly have to attenuate the K60 down to get the sweet spot.

The Low Powered version is rated at 40 watts instead of 60, with 2 EL34s. This could be bought as a combo (semi open single G12 65) or head with a 1x12 closed back cabinet with a single G1265. I would then purchase their Ambikab Jr which is just the wet portion of the Ambikab - 2 10" speakers with power amp for Wet fx.

In your gigging experience, what would be your advice as far as my choice?

Louder amp with the larger cab with Wet/Dry built in, or the lower powered amp, with the wet section in a separate cab?

Also do you prefer head and cab to combo as far as tube life/rattle etc?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with that wet/ dry cabinet, but I imagine that the dry speakers are on the floor. I haven't had much luck with combos and cabs where the speakers are so close to the floor. I have to sit to hear myself. I like the speakers in a 2x12 to be either diagonal or one on top of the other so I can hear better. Plus i've had it with open back cabinets - they sound very different depending on the sound of the room - closed backs are more consistent. Also it's true that tubes last longer in a head than a combo.

I'd probably buy a head and a vertical 2x12 cab, and use the Suhr line box and a really small combo for the wet amp like a HRD or a Blues Junior. If you're not playing that loud you don't need a big amp just for reverb.

I've never tried 10's for the wet sound and I'm wondering if they'd take too much bass out of the reverb.
mikoo69

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I'm not familiar with that wet/ dry cabinet, but I imagine that the dry speakers are on the floor. I haven't had much luck with combos and cabs where the speakers are so close to the floor. I have to sit to hear myself. I like the speakers in a 2x12 to be either diagonal or one on top of the other so I can hear better. Plus i've had it with open back cabinets - they sound very different depending on the sound of the room - closed backs are more consistent. Also it's true that tubes last longer in a head than a combo.

I'd probably buy a head and a vertical 2x12 cab, and use the Suhr line box and a really small combo for the wet amp like a HRD or a Blues Junior. If you're not playing that loud you don't need a big amp just for reverb.

I've never tried 10's for the wet sound and I'm wondering if they'd take too much bass out of the reverb.

Thanks for the reply Scott. In your experience would a 60 watt head w/ a 2x12 (that puts out 100 watts when cranked) be too much for most rooms without some type of attenuation? Would a 40 watt head w/ a single G1265 closed back speaker cab be more ideal to crank up the amp? I understand you like 2x12s to hear better, though I want to be able to get that cranked Komet tone in the small/medium rooms I play.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the amp has no master volume, then 60 watts is pretty loud and you might have to use an attenuator, but they seriously mess with the tone. 40 watts in a club is more reasonable. Maybe the amp is not available as a head at 40 watts, but if it is you could still use a 2x12 and get a bigger sound and hear yourself better - bigger doesn't mean louder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: