Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Heel truss rod adjustment tone...
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Heel truss rod adjustment tone...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Heel truss rod adjustment tone... Reply with quote

I have a fairly expensive guitar that has a heel adjustment truss rod. The only way to adjust it is by taking the neck off the guitar. It’s a pain in the ass and I’ve heard the reason the company does it that way is to maintain the “classic” tone of a strat. I don’t think I have an ear good enough to hear that difference. Scott??? Or anyone else..? Can you hear a difference in a truss rod if it’s accessed through the heel versus the much easier adjustment via the headstock?

Thanks...

Chris
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why that listed twice. Sorry about that.
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're talking about truss rod...
I'm not here to make any kind of advertisement, but the question is coming to my mind: I know the french brand Vigier makes necks with a piece of metal inserted all the way on it, so it doesn't bend, and keeps a perfect tuning all of the time.
Does anyone know if this works, or if it's pure commercial BS?

Kevin
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had 2 Vigier guitars. An Excalibur model and then the Shawn Lane model which is basically the same as the Excalibur but with a flat fingerboard and s shorter scale length I’m pretty sure. The necks on both were VERY stable and I never had any issues. BUT, without a trussrod, IF something DOES ever need adjustment, you can’t.

I’ve built a few Basses and guitars and I DO use truss rods “just in case”. From what I’ve heard, Shawn travelled the globe with his Vigier guitar through all different climates and had no issues, but that’s just what I’ve heard. I WILL say, that the Vigier trems are one of the smoothest I’ve EVER played!
countandduke

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vigier necks have CARBON FIBER, not metal in them. Just to clarify...
Kevin Thomas

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you're right. I can imagine how stable it would be with metal in the neck Laughing
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never made a comparison of guitars in regards to truss rods and tone - sorry. My Suhr guitars have truss rods which are adjusted from the bottom of the neck, but there's a rout in the body which lets you get an Allen wrench in there. How can you possibly adjust a neck correctly if it's not on the guitar?
countandduke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Scott. The truss rod in this guitar has a Phillips head adjustment at the heel that is flush with the neck so it’s ONLY accessible when I take the neck OFF the guitar. It’s a bummer for sure... otherwise it’s a fantastic guitar...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: