Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Studying at MI
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Studying at MI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasym

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Studying at MI Reply with quote

Hello!
At first, I would to thank you for your advice that you gave me about jazz environment, transcribing.
I Overcame my limiting belief, and it really helps, I have even more energy and motivation to practice) I had struggled a lot and had been in frustrations to find right ways to practice. but now I feel that i`m in a right way. So this year was the most benefitial for me, and it keeps improving

My question is about MI

Is it real for me to become a student In MI? and have scholarships?
Bare with me pls

I`m from Kyrgyzstan. I`m 20 years old. I study at the local conservatory. I`m finishing the 3rd year. We don`t have any jazz studies. Our musical community is too little, we have just several jazz musicians. Also` I`m the only guitarist who has a goal to become proffesional jazz musician.

I want to be in a place where I can find the greatest musicians giving their gigs, in a place where i can find a lot of peers who interested in jazz, and I want to be challanged,( something wrong with being the best in your home , Just because you are the only)

Our country has very low econmics, which makes me unable to pay for education in US ,I can find money that will make my life very good in my home, but certainly not in US

and even if would be accepted in an University in US, the student visa will not allow me to work there.( I`m willing to work at any crappy jobs , for the opportunities it would open)

But anyway, I`m searching for scholarships that will make studiying in US possible for me.

Here are examples of my playing, if you would want to see for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT5TFXdm-Kw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLyxR1h-BbU

P.S I Decided to leave the videos with all the imperfections in my playing that i have. it was the first take, so it will show my level as honest as possible. ( after seeing thar i wanted to rerecord the videos, I practiced hard for a week, playing with metronome on2 and 4, than just to 4, improvsing on tracks, finding new ways to play over chord changes, transcrabing....but when i recorded, I found that everithing became much worse, my rhytm was ruined, lines were absoulotuely nonsense, and I had a lot of tention in my playng)that exeperience also taught me a lot)

Obviously my level of playing would be nothing in US.
and it is probably not worth these 70 000$ that they charge in Universities.
but i`m trying because i want to learn, if i would be a world class musician, there would be no reason to study in Universities.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I think moving to the US would help because you'd be surrounded by many great jazz musicians, MI isn't really a jazz school and you'd be one of the better jazz students there. You would benefit more (and save a lot of money) by getting a good private teacher - many great jazz musicians teach privately, and they don't charge 70,000 a year! This way you could play gigs with your work visa and study jazz without relying on a scholarship, which is very difficult to get.
Kasym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice) i would defenitely try it)
but there is a problem with getting work visas, and even tourist visas)
someone form US should invite me work, than I can get a work visa( In US there are lot`s of great musicians, and nobody is going to invite someone from Kyrgyzstan)
and it is unreal to get a tourist visa, they don,t give it to 20 y.old students. they give only to mature people who has very good social connections with their country, they afraid that a student or young people will never come back and stay there illegaly)
that means that i can`t even save money and go to US for a week just to see concerts of the gtreatests).

So, applaying to any University and getting a scholarship would be one of the easiest way to at least to be in US.

I don`t even know what to do now)

Maybe, i just need to look at my situation from another perspective
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I meant to say artist visa, not work visa. I'm not an expert on visas, but I know people here in their 20's who got an artist visa to stay in the US for 2 or 3 years. They're from Brazil, Turkey, and Japan.

Of course a scholarship would be the best way. I've only known one student who got a full scholarship, and it was to Juilliard. Maybe you should start applying to schools and see what happens.
Kasym

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay) thank you for advice))

yeah, to get an Artist visa I have to become an outstanding musician at least in my country)...and I`m 100% responsible for that)...

so, will try to apply to universities and see what happens)...if nothing, I will try get the artist visa

Thank you very much for your response!! I really appreciate it!
Thank you for spending time on it! nothing feels better when someone you admire respondse to you!
Kasym

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:10 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I wanted to do an Update,
I'm currently in U.S. Louisville KY. I graduated music school here last year. they gave me full ride scholarship, so I had to come here.

I ended up gigging a lot in the area. As well as touring whole U.S with a funk band.
that was an amazing Journey.
now I`m finally getting ready to get the artist visa.

https://youtu.be/WniybhhYCH0

https://youtube.com/shorts/ssGqORphNtQ?feature=share

I have hoped to see your live concerts here, but it seems you don`t travel U.S much .It feels like I had more chance to see you in Kazakhstan. Crazy! (but I don`t blame you, I experienced very low pay with touring U.S myself, I had to leave)

P.S people here in U.S always complement my tone. I always tell them I was influenced by Scott Henderson. ( I have Xotic v2 RC booster, and that SH-9 pedal)
In Louisville, I play with a bass player Patrice Jones, he said he studied with you and Jeff Berlin at MI, and used to see you every day. He also says his uncle is Elvin Jones.
https://youtu.be/d2NLcy0pv_o?si=O67tErAK0Tn2Dqfk
what a small world........
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kasym,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad you made it to the US and are playing gigs! Congratulations on the scholarship too!

I'm sure you learned a lot more about music by playing every night than you learned in school, but it's nice to have both environments too learn from. I left college after one year to tour with a funk band, and it was the right decision. I kept up my studies with private lessons, and I was lucky to have some great teachers, but the experience of playing almost every night for years in a row was priceless.

All the best! Scott
Kasym

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Hi Kasym,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad you made it to the US and are playing gigs! Congratulations on the scholarship too!

I'm sure you learned a lot more about music by playing every night than you learned in school, but it's nice to have both environments too learn from. I left college after one year to tour with a funk band, and it was the right decision. I kept up my studies with private lessons, and I was lucky to have some great teachers, but the experience of playing almost every night for years in a row was priceless.

All the best! Scott

Oh yeah! I`m taking some private lessons from my heroes. cause now i can afford them (I might have to schedule one with you, after I finish my visa stuff). maybe in April?

I`m thinking to move to NYC, but people telling me it`s better if I apply to school to in order get there, because it will create a good playing opportunities(not just Jam sessions). I`m not sure I want to go back to school, It`s been school all my life, I hated school in U.S it was lot of paper writing, not much playing. People say, that you got to already be a world class player to be a musician in NY

.........but I feel like I still need to focus on specifically jazz playing, cause Louisville has not enough straight-ahead stuff for me. So` i m not sure what decision to take , Just go to NY and figure my own way to learn up there, or apply for school.... What do you think on that matter?(maybe we can talk about it in the private lesson?)
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel like I'm qualified to answer your question about NY - I've never lived there and don't know the scene. I'm sure there are opportunities to play gigs there, even if you're not a "world class" player, but I don't know how much the gigs pay compared to living expenses. The east coast is more expensive than the west coast in general.

About school, unless it's free, I don't think it's your best choice, since there are plenty of great musicians to study with privately, for much less money. We can do a lesson after I get back from touring, and I would also suggest getting some lessons from keyboard players and horn players, not just guitarists.

All the best!
Kasym

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I don't feel like I'm qualified to answer your question about NY - I've never lived there and don't know the scene. I'm sure there are opportunities to play gigs there, even if you're not a "world class" player, but I don't know how much the gigs pay compared to living expenses. The east coast is more expensive than the west coast in general.

About school, unless it's free, I don't think it's your best choice, since there are plenty of great musicians to study with privately, for much less money. We can do a lesson after I get back from touring, and I would also suggest getting some lessons from keyboard players and horn players, not just guitarists.

All the best!

I will contact you about the lesson when it gets close, late April?

what about the West Coast, I also, play bunch a different style. But I want to play specifically more straight-ahead stuff. I`m thinking if I have to work a job in NY, instead I`m thinking if it more beneficial to live in a city where can play gigs and make living, to learn faster........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: