Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Ox Box
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Ox Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusion58

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
I know, right? That's what I thought before I even heard it, but after hearing how awful it sounds, I'm completely confused. Worst piece of gear of the year in my opinion.

I also have a small complaint about Celestion IR's. They make quality stuff, but they need to take a lesson from OwnHammer concerning mic placement. OwnHammer makes 10 versions of a speaker, from the mic in the middle of the cone to the edge of the paper. The Celestion Balanced Greenback sounds like they put the mic in the seam between the cone and the paper, and the Bright Greenback sounds like they put it right in the middle of the cone. I think if they'd made one in between, it would sound exactly like my cabinet, or too close to hear the difference in the mix.

I'm also confused by how Celestion was able to come out with IR's which sound fatter and more real sounding than OwnHammer or RedWirez, companies which have been doing this for many years. I can only say that's my experience using IR's which were recorded using a Shure 57 - no idea how other mics compare.

My complaint about the Celestion IRs is that, for whatever reason, the RedWirez convolution plug doesn't remember my settings when the folder containing the Celestion IRs is configured as the source folder. In other words, whenever I close and save a project, I have to reload every IR on every track from scratch all over again the next time I open the project. I never have this problem when using RedWirez' own IR library.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. LOL.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem but mine is intermittent. Sometimes I open a session and everything is as I left it, sometimes I see the IR in there but it's in italics, so it's not loaded. It could be an incompatibility issue between the MixIR plug-in and Celestion IR's, or something to do with our DAW's - I use Digital Performer and I've had other issues with IR players. A lot of people use Mellowmuse but it won't work at all in my version of DP.
tonetone25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I can't believe you didn't dig the Ox box. I'm getting amazing sounds out of it to my ears, some more impressive than I could ever get with IR's. And though I don't have dog ears like you, I think I'm pretty picky.

I really wonder if something was wrong with the one you had. I know you have very specific settings in regards to your micing, but I'm surprised you couldn't find anything somewhat to your liking.

Did you go into your interface via SPIDF? That avoids the conversion altogether as I understand it.

Does anybody here who's had success with the Ox have any guesses why Scott didn't bond with it?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust what you're saying and I also trust Oz and like a lot of his tones. Troy was with me and he agreed with my low opinion of it - I guess it's possible we got a broken one.

We used the normal output, not the SPDIF, and the main problem was fizz. Anytime the output knob was higher than 12 o'clock, which is where it needed to be in order to get a healthy signal to my DAW, the sound was horribly fizzy. We were able to fix that by turning the output down and running it into my 1073 to jack up the volume. Even then we found no useful tones. The Suhr load box and Celestion IR's killed it.

I've since heard that the designer of the Ox is James Santiago - he's a friend of mine so I feel bad for saying all this negative stuff about his gear. Maybe he'd bring one over and show me the best way to use it... I'm just afraid that if I still hate it... ouch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: