Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Wet Amp Delay vs Reverb, and why both
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Wet Amp Delay vs Reverb, and why both

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikoo69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Wet Amp Delay vs Reverb, and why both Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

Wondering why you (and Mike Landau) use both reverb and delay in a wet-dry wet setup. Just curious to know from your ears what the delay adds as far as ambiance, that you don't get out of reverb alone? Doesn't the delay ever interfere with rhythmic playing or tempo if the band is playing at different tempos throughout the night?

Fan of some players who use just reverb - i.e. Derek Trucks, Jimmy Herring
Others who just use delay - Gilmour

Why both, and what do you miss when it's just verb, or just delay?

Do you adjust the effect level of the delay independently to the reverb, or ever bring it in and out on an expression pedal?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use a mix of delay and reverb, but sometimes I use only reverb, like on funk tunes where delay would get in the way. In my experience if you set the delay to the tempo of the song, it kinda disappears anyway. Reverb is much more transparent than delay, so in a loud situation reverb by itself can add too much ambiance and muddy things up, especially in boomy rooms.

I don't like delay without reverb because it sounds too dry, especially if it's a long delay like 500ms. My mix of reverb and delay is set to my taste and after I write the patch I don't mess with it - I just turn the whole thing up and down. It's around 60% delay, 40% reverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: