Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Scott's playing on other people's projects-opinions!?!
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Scott's playing on other people's projects-opinions!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vladorg

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Scott's playing on other people's projects-opinions!?! Reply with quote

What do you guys think about all the guest appearances that Scott has done on other people's projects?I really enjoy the Players album.Also Scott on the Elektric Band CD is awesome.Or what do you think about his playing on Tom Coster's "Forbidden Zone" or Ponty's stuff?Perhaps kirk could do a poll for that as well.

Vlad
kirk95
StarShip Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a complete list and I would be glad to do a poll.

Very Happy
Matt Gordon

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about "Cat Tales" with Luc Ponty, thats some serious fretting. Can anyone play that solo at tempo?
vladorg

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
Give me a complete list and I would be glad to do a poll.

Very Happy

OK.These are not all of the projects Scott's been on but IMO are the more significant ones.Feel free to add others that you don;t see here.For me the more important are:

Elektric Band
Jean-Luc Ponty-Fables
Zawinul Syndicate-Immigrants,Black water
Tom Coster-Forbidden Zone
Players
Jeff Berlin-Vox Humana
Virgil Donati-Just Add water
...and perhaps the two VTT records(although I'm not sure if thay count 'cuz it's partly Scott's project,too).

Vlad
jimmy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The electrik band tunes are incredible. First time I heard Scott play. Been a huge fan ever since.
fingerprints

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

and thanks for setting up this board, it was about time! i haven't delved deep into scott's discography, but "the creeping terror" off the "players" album contains one of my all time top ten guitar solos.

the scotthenderson.net website is very sketchy on scott's side projects and session work. i turned to allmusic.com and came up with this link. some of the listings certainly refer to some OTHER scott hendersons (that's another scott henderson appearing with the gay men's chorus of l.a.!!!) , but here goes:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDSUB020405180647040582&sql=B9x2m964o3ep5

cheers from per

(who normally hangs out at the holdsworth board at http://www.therealallanholdsworth.com/forum/index.php )
PierreL

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of Scott H. stuff, almost everything listed so far (some in vinyl form though ) . Also the Billy Childs "'I've Known Rivers" record, and Jeff Richman "Fingerprints", a collection of guitar duets, also featuring Mike Stern and a few others.
itisibby

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

My first contribution to this board is a list of my Scott Henderson-albums:

Riccardo A. Ballerini: Blue Mesa
Jeff Berlin: Vox Humana
The Chick Corea Elektric Band
Tom Coster
Players
Scott Henderson (all of his Tribal Tech-stuff except the compilation-CD and his CD's with Victor Wooten & Steve Smith
5 After 4: Notorious
Billy Childs
Richie & Antti: Generator
Gregg Bissonette: Gregg Bissonette

(the ones without titles were mentioned before I believe)
kabuki

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PierreL wrote:
I have a lot of Scott H. stuff, almost everything listed so far (some in vinyl form though ) . Also the Billy Childs "'I've Known Rivers"

Wow. I've had this CD since it came out and love it! Thanks for bringing it up. Gotta go listen to it again!
Matt Gordon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
PierreL wrote:
I have a lot of Scott H. stuff, almost everything listed so far (some in vinyl form though ) . Also the Billy Childs "'I've Known Rivers"

Wow. I've had this CD since it came out and love it! Thanks for bringing it up. Gotta go listen to it again!
I just ordered that CD from Amazon. And I thought I knew about Scott Henderson! I have so much to learn. It will be a "first time" for me.
The Owl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved his playing on the first Elektric Band CD ("King Cockroach" AND "Silver Temple" the KC solo especially had so much melody and SOUL!!!).

Haven't heard that "PLAYERS" disc in ages, but I seem to remember "The Crawling Horror" being one of the real highlights!

I definitely think Scott's playing was far better served when he did his own stuff w/ Tribal Tech and the blues albums. On the first Jeff Berlin album and the Zawinul stuff , it just didn't really do him justice despite the fact he played like a tiger, same with Ponty, whose music was so uptight, fussed with and over-orchestrated that Scott barely had breathing room, much less playing room.

MP3's @: http://theowlwatches.dmusic.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: