Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Eddie VH tone
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Eddie VH tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Eddie VH tone Reply with quote

Hey Scott

I remember you saying that sometimes for fun you like to replicate tones you like.
Have you ever tried to replicate vh1 tone with your echoplex, phase 90 and your 100 Marshall? It seems like your basic rig is pretty similar because he used a 57 and greenbacks and a 100 watt plexi.
His early tone was the first tone that amazed me—maybe like Richie Blackmore or Jimi Page for you.
Actually, your tone reminds me of his a little bit on thick—I guess cause it was amp gain and a humbucker and greenbacks—right?

You probably aren’t doing too much of that now since you are tracking your album. Hope it’s going well.
countandduke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marshall plexi style amps are used by several people that have fantastic tone and it’s no surprise. I have LOVED Eric Johnson’s tone from Ah Via Musicom (he doesn’t have quite the same tone now) for a while now but it’s cool to hear that each person can still have a VERY UNIQUE tone.

Ed’s tone changed a bit from those early albums and who knows what was REALLY in his effects chain. I’ve grard Don Landee was VERY much a part of Ed’s tone in the stidio. I believe Ed also used Altec speakers as did Randy Rhoads!

Best,
Chris
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much of the tone is in the fingers - I can name quite a few "Strat, Marshall, Greenbacks" players and their tones are so completely different. I've never been interested in trying to simulate Eddie's tone - I like it, but I like single coils more on a strat - for rock I prefer Yngwie's tone, and like him, I'm a huge Blackmore fan.

I used a humbucker strat for many years with Tribal Tech and I'm not a fan of my tone back then, but I hear some people say they like it more than the tone I use now. Some people love that midrange honk - I guess I got tired of it. I was using 9's and a humbucker was necessary, but it's a small sound in comparison with a single coil.
dizzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that’s true about singles sounding bigger.
When you roll off some top end with the tone control or a boost on a strat bridge pup it is clear that it is much bigger sounding then a humbucker.
Sometimes with a bright single coil sound it is deceiving because bright can be confused with “less full”.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: