Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - changing pots or adjusting tone pot
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

changing pots or adjusting tone pot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: changing pots or adjusting tone pot Reply with quote

Hi!

This has probably been asked a milion times, but how do you see changing 500k volume pot to 250k or just tuning the treble with tone pot adjustment? Shouldn't it be better to have 500k since it retains the possibility to have more treble when wanted? Can you get almost exactly the same tone with tone pot adjustments with 500k volume pot as with 250k volume pot?

I have a JB and 59 in a les paul style guitar, seem a bit bright, so I'm thinking about changing the volume pot.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely not put 250K pots in a guitar with humbuckers. I've tried it and is sounds terrible - no bass at all, and it sounds muffled and weird. Gibson has been putting 350k pots in their guitars since the 70's to hide the sound of their shitty pickups. I put 59's and 500k pots in my Gibson's and they sound SO much better - almost as good as vintage.

If you've got too much treble with your 500k pots, that's what the tone knob is for. You'll get a much fatter tone by lowering the tone than using 250k pots.
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. Seems to be a better idea to just use the tone pot and amp knobs for fine tuning.

I have gibson 57's on my jazz guitar. Those were at least a lot better than the stock epiphone ones. Costly for sure but thats for the name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: