Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Amp replacement on the road - suggestions?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Amp replacement on the road - suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Amp replacement on the road - suggestions? Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
I must have read somewhere someting you said about the amp(s) you put in your backline list, when you're on the road and can't carry along your own amp. Maybe in this forum, but I can't find the relevant thread.
I have almost the same approach as you, when it comes to amps, effects and guiitar (SC Strat). I own a JTM45 replica that, even at the cleanest settings, is never less than crunchy. It take pedal superbly, so when I need more distortion / gain, I use OD pedals, and tweak the vol pot for cleans.
I just need to set up my backline list, expecting to be on the road for many gigs this summer, and in many of them I won't carry my gear, except guiitar and pedals
Could you be so kind to share your thoughts on which brands / amp models could cover a JTM45 / plexi territory as a replacement?
Thanks to everybody in this forum for contributing. Very much appreciated.

PS I normaly do not have the chance to gig in large venues, therefore a 30-50W tube amp (no matter if head+cab or combo) is enough.

Many thanks in advance!!
Can't wait to listen to your new album!!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always rent a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 - a TSL 100 is OK too. Unfortunately most rental places don't carry 50 watt Marshall heads, but the DSL 100 is a master volume amp and doesn't sound terrible when lowering the master volume to equal 50 watts.

The amp sounds best at 8 ohms so I rent two Marshall cabs because they're only available in 16 ohms. I ask for Greenbacks in one cab, and the other cab doesn't matter because I put it behind my rig and turn it around backwards. I wish I could bring a 16 ohm load box on the road but it's too heavy for a suitcase. If you're OK with a 2x12, most of them are 8 ohms.

My second choice would be a Hot Rod Deville, or if it's a softer gig, a Hot Rod Deluxe - most rental places have them. They don't have as much gain as a Marshall, but if you put a volume control in the FX loop and turn up the preamp, the volume control can act as a master volume. I've done small gigs with my Hot Rod Deluxe and it works pretty well.

Hope that helps!
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many many thanks Scotto for such a well detailed, prompt reply!

Cheers

Fabio
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that you use the green channel crunch setting on JCM 2000. I find that the clean, the more plexi like setting, is ideal with pedals. Crunch is more like a jcm 800. Am I completely wrong here?

Sorry for asking too many questions.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably just use more gain than you - the clean channel can't get me enough, and it doesn't sound good to turn the distortion on my pedals up too high (past 2 o'clock).

You're right, the gain is more similar to a JCM 800, but the tone is completely different. The 2000 has a rounder and more pleasing midrange - the 800 is very nasal in comparison. Just my opinion, but I don't like the 800 or 900 - with the 2000 they got it right. Too bad they stopped making it in 2006, but there were thousands made so they're easy to find.

The current model is a JCM 2000 DSL 100H - ouch!! Made in Vietnam and sounds pretty bad. I make it a point to say no 100H on my rider. I think it has nothing to do with where it's made, but about a complete change of the tone section. There's a knob called resonance - sounds terrible no matter where you turn it.
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. Right now I use more pedal distortion. Gotta check your settings how it sounds. Got a 2006 DSL. Probably at it's finest. The only 100W head I have and probably the optimal solution for not paying thousands more and having a very versatile big amp.

The resonance knob problem on the dsl100H, how about tearing the knob completely off from the front if there's no position with it to make it sound any near reasonable?
stephane

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott !
Did you try the M. Landau signature amp ? I think it’s a good one cause it’s like a single channel Deville Fender ?
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've tried the Landau Deville - it sounds great but too clean for me. I've seen Mike use them and he makes them sound amazing, but he could get good tone out of anything.

About the 100H, I doubt if removing the resonance knob would help. It sounds like a completely different amp than the 100, so there's more going on than one knob.
Chickentonight

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSL100h was probably more voiced for the modern metal player since original DSL100 had a lot of complaints for poor and too undefined lead channel.

Now they have DSL100hr which have two global master volumes controlling channel volumes. Been wondering how that compares. Probably not worth investigating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: