Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Never missing a LP?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Never missing a LP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Never missing a LP? Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
There’s an question that frequently comes to my mind.
Two days ago I went to a friend’s store here in my town, and by chance had the opportunity to play one of these freshly delivered 2019 Gibsons, in particular I tested a beautiful Custom ‘58 LP, and I instantly felt in love... Oh gosh, when humbuckers are low power and guitars are built properly (BTW with ACTUAL 500k pots and REAL PIO caps, not-fake-hyperpricey-bumblebees), they sound way less thick and lifeless that an average LP. Lot of tone nuances & variations by simply turning down volume or changing pick position... I promptly felt in the need for one of those babies! Pure dream, as far as you need to break the bank to get one!
Here is the question: given your love for vintage stuff and great sounding guitars (as well as for Led Zep), did you ever happened to fall in love with a gorgeously playing LP? Did you ever hit one? I mean a Custom LP, not the (very often, even though not always) crappy average production....
There’s something in the mid-low register, when you plug a good sounding LP in a crunchy Marshall, especially when palm muting the strings, that amazes me... Sometimes I miss that tone. Doesn’t it happen to you as well?
I remember having read somewhere you got a LP, but you miss the vibrato bar, as an important part of your style... but nevertheless....
Let me say that I (and I guess many others among your estimators) would be more than curios to see what Scott Henderson could do, soloing with a LP...
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early 90's LP with 500k pots and Seymour Duncan pickups - I doubt if it sounds as good as a '59 but I love it and I've used it quite a lot on my albums, just not so much for solos. The slide parts and solo at the end of Church of Xotic Dance are my LP. I've used it for rhythm tracks on too many tunes to count. I used it for a solo on a new Scott Kinsey album but it hasn't been released yet.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott.
Now that you are unveiling it, I can hear some LP tones here and there in your records.
Maybe exactly when I happened to wonder how you could get certain rounder neck-pick up tones out of your strat...
BTW the new Gibson Custom Shop 58 LPs are feather light, even though they haven’t any chambers / holes, sport a chunky neck (way chunkier than 59 and 60 models), custombucker HBs (alnico III) and the two I have played, both sounded really, really great.
Frankly speaking, I would have picked one at the second note I have played, unless they are unaffordable for me at the moment.
Worth to give the whole new Custom Shop production a try.
Thanks again

Fabio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: