Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - High notes sound thin
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

High notes sound thin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nigel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: High notes sound thin Reply with quote

Hi Scott, I just finished mixing my first solo album and came along a problem that I hope you can help me with: thin and quieter sounding notes in the higher register...especially on the b- and high e-string above the 12th fret.
I can remember you talked about that in some video or on "Guitar Wank"? It had to do with the Presence-knob on the amp?
Well, I play Fender Strats with SSS and HH config., 10-46 strings and use heavy picks. Amp-wise I use a Brunetti Mercury EL34 50w Marshall-kind of amp and a Brunetti Singleman H 50w more Fender-like amp...on both I use an RC Booster and/or a CMATmods Brownie pedal for distorted tones...sometimes only amp distortion. Both amps have no presence knob.

Could you give me some advice based on my description above?

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Thorsten aka Nigel
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you're asking me how to correct that problem for the next album, or how to correct what you've already recorded.

Thin high notes are pretty common on amps with no presence control, but you could try adding more treble to the amp and turning the guitar tone down, or using a pedal which has more midrange. The SD-9 and Klon are high-mid, high-gain pedals, and the Vemuram Jan Ray is a high-mid boost pedal.

To fix what you've recorded, 3k is the frequency I use the most often to fatten things up - it's somewhere between treble and midrange. I use it on a bell curve and it always helps. If that affects other notes in a bad way, most DAW's allow you to cut individual notes and apply a plug-in like EQ to them - that's a tedious solution but I've done it many times. I've played phrases where one note was picked weird and it's really thin, or harsh and trebly - cutting it and applying EQ saved me from having to re-play the whole phrase.
nigel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, thanks for your reply. Actually I wanted to hear your opinion about that problem in general...not especially to improve the tone on my album. But it‘s now I have some bonus information...thanks for that🙂👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: