Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Trem block and reinforced arm
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Trem block and reinforced arm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Trem block and reinforced arm Reply with quote

Hi Scott.
Let me apologize in advance for resurrecting this topic once more.
Do you think Suhr would ever be available to sell only blocks and reinforced, thicker arms as OEM / standalone items? Or the full modded tremolo assembly?
I keep breacking arms, and there's no engineering company in the neigborhood that can provide such kind of mod / build service, as you suggested some time ago...

Many thanks
Best,

Fabio
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they won't do that because it's not cost effective for them. They don't do the bridge mod themselves, it's done at a local machine shop in Lake Elsinore CA, which is a small town. This is a very simple job that any machine shop can do. If there's not one in your neighborhood, I'm sure you can find a good one in a bigger city close to you. Most of them will charge about $100 to put threads on a thicker push-in arm, thread the block with a larger hole, and drill the hole in the plate bigger. Then you can easily cut the arm to the length you want. All Suhr does after that is hand-drill the plastic tip a a bit bigger and attach it with super-glue.

This would be a lot cheaper than ordering a custom block and arm from Suhr.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add that the arm should be made of plain steel, not stainless, which is too hard and will break easily. Gotoh makes a variety of arms like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Gotoh-Tremolo-Arm-Chrome-PAW-1C/dp/B078H1T7G7/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_vtp_ses_clicks_nonshared_1_7/132-3013771-4484215?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078H1T7G7&pd_rd_r=5c39267b-333b-47f6-be0e-19b41c84dc3e&pd_rd_w=SXb68&pd_rd_wg=divB0&pf_rd_p=749cddcb-b3dc-4bab-bcca-89adfb2f4e61&pf_rd_r=3Y4XDZK9NKN8TXW3HTJ5&psc=1&refRID=3Y4XDZK9NKN8TXW3HTJ5

Unfortunately they don't say if it's plain steel, but they usually say stainless if it is. The Wilkinson/ Gotoh bar is stainless - Trevor is the man so I don't know why he's using a stainless arm, but maybe he knows something about it that I don't. I always need to bend the bar a little to make it the right height - Suhr tried one small batch of stainless arms and every one of them broke immediately when I tried to bend them.

Also, some Gotoh arms are hollow and threaded on the inside so that's not what you want - only push-in arms.
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MANY MANY THANKS SCOTT!!
Definitely helpful and supportive, as usual.
Having learned there could be a third way, working on existing items that can be a good basis for modding is a great news!
In the end, it sounds way easier to find a machine shop in the neighborhood, machining the arm and the block, than hit a steel parts manufacturer expected to build up the arm from a scratch (in my opinion, the thoughest part of the build).

Thanks again

Best,

Fabio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: