Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Ear Training and Transcribing
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Ear Training and Transcribing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Ear Training and Transcribing Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

I hope you are safe and doing fine.

Have questions about ear training and transcribing things from records.

1. There are a ton of solos that I can sing and seem to be able to transcribe some stuff of, but when it comes to some lines I just feel completely lost. Any advice on this?

2. While at some point in the future, I do think I can transcribe solos, I am not sure how to go about figuring out the harmony that is behind these solos. This is an area I am completely unfamiliar with. Any advice?

Thanks!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, these are teaching questions that I don't answer on this forum, since I make part of my living by teaching. I'm available for lessons on Zoom, and the details will be posted on the lessons page of my website soon. If I answer these questions for you, I have to do it for everyone and then I'm teaching for free. Hope you understand.
bonga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally understand where you're coming from Scott, and I respect that. Look forward to details on the zoom lessons soon.

I'd like to ask you a gear question - I have a strat that I have assembled. It's an alder body with a one piece roasted maple neck, callaham vintage six screw bridge with bent steel saddles and steel block, jumbo frets, and Fender Fat 50's pickups. The guitar sounds very thin when playing through a Marshall style amp. However, it sounds wonderful when playing through a Twin or a blackface. Can you share some ideas why this might be happening? Is there something in particular with regards to the settings on the amp that I need to do. As of now, I am running everything straight up except for the bass, which I run at 1 or 2 since there is already a lot of bass with single coil pickups. Thanks!

Edit - I should add that it's a plexi style amp. EL34's.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I don't know about your guitar is the pickups because I've never tried them, but the Marshall and Fender sound are so different from one another - I think if you like the Fender more than the Marshall, you could try different settings on the Marshall. I don't know if this will work for you, but I use these settings - presence 6, bass 1, treble 5, mid 3. It's a bright setting but I have my tone rolled down to 3 or 4 on the bridge pickup and 8 on the neck pickup. Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: