Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Any kemper users here?
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Any kemper users here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason3000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Any kemper users here? Reply with quote

Recently I got the Kemper. Very impressed with the sounds so far, and gotta say some profiles are really convincing and sound unique and awesome. Tbh, it's been more convincing than any IR's I used with my amp and Suhr RL. I'm pretty blown away overall.

There seems to be a rabbit hole of profiles out there. Out of curiosity, does anyone here use a kemper and have any profiles they recommend and love?

High gain, bluesy overdrive, or cleans? Would love to hear people's thoughts here as I know there are some very picky tone. I believe Dizzy (who's a member here) uses one, or atleast used to.

Thanks in advance!
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the album Dan (Dizzy) made with the Kemper and the tones are really good. Since then, I think he's discovered some amp/IR combinations which he likes more - maybe he'll reply about that.

I've never tried the Kemper myself, but the load box/IR experience is only as good as the amp you're using. I've always said that a good amp modeler beats an average amp anytime - and there are a lot of people who've never owed a great vintage amp to compare other gear with.

Pete Thorn sent me a Greenback IR made by York Audio, and so far it's the most realistic IR I've ever heard. When I compare it to my cabinet I hear very little difference, and in the track I hardly hear any difference at all.
dizzy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason

I used the kemper for my whole album a few years ago.
I liked the sounds I got.
I used Michael Britt’s clean bassman profile. I think you might have to buy an entire package of irs.
I used that same profile without tweaking it and then I used od pedals to get my overdrive—cot, bb preamp, sd9, jan ray

I changed over to the suhr reactive load and celestion irs now.

I changed from the kemper because I wanted to make sure I was able to capture MY sound. I always love players who I hear live and they get a great sound and then capture it on recording(like Scott).
It was frustrating at first but now I plug my jtm 45 into the reactive load and my 2x12 open back ir and I get the same sound as I do out of my amp live.
It made me get my live tone better because it is the same pedals and amp.

Also for me, I have always been obsessed with how great rock sounds were captured—like hearing Eddie Van Halen’s tone and then researching how he got the sound. I like being part of that activity—for instance:
“god, my tone is muddy.” and then having to figure out MY solution which will be different from some else’s solution. With the Kemper it is “my tone is good, ‘thanks Matt Britt’”.

But the Kemper is a great piece of gear imo. I guess it just took part of the thrill of the chase away for me. You might have a completely different outlook.

So I guess the simple answer is: Try Matt Britts profiles.😄
jason3000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott and Dizzy. Super insightful.

Dizzy, I'm glad to hear you were happy with the Kemper overall. Makes me feel like I'm not crazy Smile

Just wondering, you said you recommended the Michael Britt bassman sounds. I went to his site, and couldn't seem to find any. Any chance you could point me to the pack that you liked? Thanks in advance!
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason

It’s on pack 1 of his first release. So you can buy the whole pack but not sure if you can buy the single profile.
Email him and ask what bassman profile he put in his first profile pack from around 2015. It is a bassman into a 1x12 cab with celestion 80 watt speaker.
There are some other nice profiles in that pack too. Especially the fender blackface amps.
jason3000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dizzy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: