Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - EWS vol ped current function
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

EWS vol ped current function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumberstrummer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: EWS vol ped current function Reply with quote

Hi Scott... Hope you are safe and healty.
A few days ago in a fellows guitar players chat someone started a discussion on how you use the EWS vol ped.
I remember to have read many interviews where it was told to be aimed at producing slight volume variations, first in chain in your FX loop.
But one of the chat folks said that you've changed a bit its function (it seems he gained such info from one of your staff members during a gig), and now it's aimed at controlling delay / rev level, on the wet side of your rig.
Having seen you many times live through the years, I remember you stepping on the EWS 80% of the time, so I'm a bit on the fence on what the chat member said. What's the truth?

Many thanks in advance

Fabio
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one SVC in the FX loop of the amp to control the master volume, and another one after the Suhr line box to control the volume of my FX.

In general, using the amp FX loop isn't a good idea. Putting dry signal through FX can ruin the tone, and also make the amp very unresponsive. I don't notice much difference putting only the SVC in there - it's the correct impedance and all I notice is a slight smoothing out of high treble, which for me is a good thing.
blackstratblues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Putting dry signal through FX can ruin the tone, and also make the amp very unresponsive.

Hi Scott, when you used the Mini Mix in the loop did you hear much of a difference when your effects were bypassed? Just curious to how you thought the Mini Mix handled the dry signal path.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disrespect to Suhr because it's a good product - definitely a more transparent sound than running a dry sound through FX. However, it still loads down the amp and makes it more unresponsive. That's true for just about anything in the FX loop, which is the reason that guys who really know amps like Mike Landau don't use their FX loops and use a wet amp instead.

Another reason for a wet/ dry rig is that the amp interacts with the guitar pickups so much better when there's no reverb or delay in the same speakers.

I avoided doing it for years because I thought I'd have to carry a lot of extra gear around, but it's just a Suhr line box the size of a small pedal, and a Fender combo.
mudr.mcerny@seznam.cz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: EWS treat Reply with quote

Dear Scott,
I hope You are going well.
I would like to ask, my EWS pedal crackles while turning the knob. Do You treat that somehow?

My second question is: You are using EWS while You are playing (You are looking like dancing with one leg Smile) Could You, please, share, what are You treating with that (e.g. lack of the volume at the end of phrases particularly with finger picking, crescendo etc.) ???
Thank You!

All the best, Martin
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can spray the pot with electronic contact cleaner - sometimes that fixes it, but sometimes it won't. Those pots are the strongest military pots that EWS could find, but putting the weight of your body on them for a long time can damage them.

I'm trying not to stand on mine anymore, but to adjust the volume when needed and leave it alone. It's fun to use it for musical expression sometimes, but standing on it all night will eventually damage the pot.

I'm sorry but I didn't understand your second question about "lack of the volume at the end of phrases particularly with finger picking, crescendo". Could you explain further?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: