Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Duncan 59 Strat Bridge
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Duncan 59 Strat Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fenderfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Duncan 59 Strat Bridge Reply with quote

Hi Scott. I’m thinking about using a Duncan 59 (single screw) in the bridge of a Strat I’m putting together. I’d like to leave it uncovered for the look but I’m concerned it will be too bright. Should that pickup have a cover on it? Thanks.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the pickup I had in my guitar with Tribal Tech - I never thought it was too bright and it wasn't covered. That being said, don't expect your guitar to sound vintage anymore - in my opinion it sounds like a Fender/ Gibson hybrid.

Mike Landau is using the Loller Imperial (normal gain). It's humbucking, but one coil is louder than the other so it sounds more like a single coil, and the bridge pickup is Fender spaced. Suhr makes the Thornbucker - same principle but it has an alnico 4 magnet which I don't like, so I asked them to make me one with the normal alnico 5 magnet, which is what the '59 and Loller have.

So, if you wanna keep your strat more vintage sounding, I'd go with an Imperial or a custom order Thornbucker, but if you want that really fat high-mid sound, the '59 is a great pickup.
fenderfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Somewhere online I read Landau was using a 59 bridge in one of his Strats on his Tales From The Bulge record, and I really dig his playing on that. Of course in those days angling your bridge humbucker was more common. Any thoughts on how that might affect tone? Or is that considered a thing of the past since now everybody makes F-spaced buckers.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only heard of people doing the slant thing - I'm sure it affects the tone in some way. Apparently having the pole pieces on the bridge pickup line up with the strings is a good thing, which makes sense to me. However there were many players who used a Gibson spaced humbucker for their bridge pickup on a strat - the Fender spacing is relatively new. I didn't notice any weirdness when the pole pieces didn't line up exactly with the strings.
ItAllanLover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the pole pieces not lined up with the strings may cause less pull from the pickup, so that could be a good thing.....having a powerful pickup without the bad, heavy pull that inhibits the string to vibrate freely...
dizzy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m putting together a HH strat. I bought 2 59s w/covers. Haven’t installed them yet. I’m pretty excited about it—I notice that Landau’s sound like a fat single coil like Scott said. I’m going for a more mid focused sound so I’m hoping these work out.
dizzy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did my project: HH strat with 59s. I didn’t like it. Maybe if I played with a keyboard player it would have been better. It sounded really mid focused—
I got some Lollar imperials and I like it much more—the unmatched coil thing is not subtle—makes it way more strat like.
The only problem is that I still like my single coil guitar better.
For me, if I was going to use humbuckers I’d get a gibson style guitar.
But that’s just me—
Oh—listening to old van halen I can hear that he used an unmatched coil. Probably by accident but it sounds “singlecoily”. I think one of his coils was broken when they looked at his pickup but that could just be legend.
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you dizzy, humbuckings aren't for me either. I use my humbucking guitar in the studio for an occasional solo, but it's useless to me in a trio live situation - too much midrange. My pickups are Suhr Thornbuckers - same concept as the Imperials with the unmatched coils.
fusion58

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy wrote:
I’m putting together a HH strat. I bought 2 59s w/covers. Haven’t installed them yet. I’m pretty excited about it—I notice that Landau’s sound like a fat single coil like Scott said. I’m going for a more mid focused sound so I’m hoping these work out.

Here's mine.

Came stock with Duncan 59 in neck and Duncan Pearly Gates in bridge. My favorite 5-way setting is the one where you get the bottom coil of the neck PU and the top coil on the bridge PU.

dizzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a nice strat. The pearly gates I think is an unmatched coil?
That’s my favorite 5 way setting on mine too(I have 5 way too).
That’s the “stratyest” sound to me.
fusion58

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy wrote:
That’s a nice strat. The pearly gates I think is an unmatched coil?
That’s my favorite 5 way setting on mine too(I have 5 way too).
That’s the “stratyest” sound to me.

They're not mismatched - they're symmetrical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: