Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Tribal Tech - elvis at the hop
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Tribal Tech - elvis at the hop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Tribal Tech - elvis at the hop Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Elvis at the hop and Got tuh b are some of my all time favorite fusion tunes.
Particularly, your solo on the first tune gives me the stink face every time i hear it. And the first time i heard it was in my teens, 20 years ago.

My question about it, was it one of those magic moments where you improvised and it call came out so good as if it was composed or it was actually had some ideas going in?

- George Carlin
Scott Henderson
The Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got Tuh B is a Willis tune, but I'll take the blame for Elvis at the Hop. I'm not the right guy to ask - to me it's just a blues with a bridge. I'm way happier with most of my other tunes - but I'm glad you like it! That's an old one, so I honestly can't remember what I was thinking when I wrote it, but I'd probably say that if you asked me about a tune I wrote last month. Like most composers, it's my job to sit in my chair every day and write - sometimes we get luckily and discover things easily, but sometimes we sit for hours and come up with nothing. After years of this, it all becomes a blur.
Petar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson wrote:
Got Tuh B is a Willis tune, but I'll take the blame for Elvis at the Hop. I'm not the right guy to ask - to me it's just a blues with a bridge. I'm way happier with most of my other tunes - but I'm glad you like it! That's an old one, so I honestly can't remember what I was thinking when I wrote it, but I'd probably say that if you asked me about a tune I wrote last month. Like most composers, it's my job to sit in my chair every day and write - sometimes we get luckily and discover things easily, but sometimes we sit for hours and come up with nothing. After years of this, it all becomes a blur.

That solo on Elvis at the Hop is absolutely legendary, for me.
The rhythms and phrasing on it, to me, are so good that it makes me not hear scales, patterns, changes but hear it as a piece of music.
I don't know if that makes any sense but..
There are very few solos that make me feel that way.
The other ones i can think of are
Allan Holdsworth - Joshua and John Scofield - Everybody's party

- George Carlin
erakare

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah...that album is a great piece of work...great tunes by anyone's standards, excellent playing and just plain fun to listen to!
No filler anywhere on the disc...
We have to understand a composer's personal disdain for earlier material...the drive to make each new tune and album better means the writer has to move on...
That said, the songs have their own resonance for each listener that doesn't necessarily match the composer's, and the album rings true to this day in every way for me, and I'm sure for many others...
Thanks for the great musical memories, Scott...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Direct All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: