Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Scott Henderson, Michael Landau on upcoming Scott Kinsey cd
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Scott Henderson, Michael Landau on upcoming Scott Kinsey cd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
music23

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Scott Henderson, Michael Landau on upcoming Scott Kinsey cd Reply with quote

Scott Kinsey-Kinesthetics
http://interneka.com/affiliate/AIDLink.php?BID=10826&AID=17805

KINSEY CD ON THE WAY!
After endless delays Scott’s new CD Kinesthetic’s is finally on the way.
Really!
It will be released in the U.S. by Abstract Logix on October 16th.

Kinesthetics features a stellar cast of Scott Kinsey on keyboards along with Scott Henderson (guitar), Michael Landau (guitar), Jinshi Ozaki (acoustic guitar), Steve Tavaglione (sax), Kirk Covington (drums), Cyril Atef (drums, perc, vox), Vinnie Colaiuta (drums), Gary Willis (bass), Abraham Laboriel Sr. (bass), Armand Sabal-Lecco (bass), Jimmy Earl (bass), Robert Hurst III (acoustic bass), Paul Shihadeh (bass),Alex Acuna (percussion), Arto Tuncboyaciyan (percussion, vox, beer bottle), Brad Dutz (percussion), Satnam Ramgotra (tablas), Tim Hagans (trumpet), Mammady Keita (sampled vox & percussion) and Ronald Bruner Jr. (drums).
music23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples sound great scott !!! got my order in .
Mr. Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: New Kinsey cd release date!!!!!!!update Reply with quote

If you got to Abstract's website it shows that it's out today (9-19-06)----This appears to be correct----i'll know for sure when i order it later today---
spknoevl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered it yesterday and anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Scott's unique sounds and approach were always one of my favorite parts of Tribal Tech.
music23

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recieved my album in the mail today. This is an amazing debut record from kinsey, the compostions are smoking and everyone is killlllllllling on it , and the recording level is top notch,
rainmkr63

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a total “kinesthetics” weekend, I listened to it about 11 times ( no exaggeration ). There is so much going on in these 12 songs it takes many listens just to get the party started. This disk is an audio adventure, world music meets high end fusion. Subtle melodies lots of sounds, great playing by all. Scott K. must have had a heavy hand in “thick” and “Rocket science” because you can hear where he influenced those after digging into this new one.

Not much guitar, I expected more but I am not disappointed there are so many sounds especially horns. Great sax and trumpet, Scott has this way of weaving sounds and effects its like he is creating a new language. Henderson plays on two tracks and is not very prominent, Landau is on the last track and this one track has the most guitar from the disk ML kills as only he can.

I have been waiting for this release for years and it has exceeded my expectations.

Rob
music23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review at allaboutjazz calling it one of the best fusion releases of the year... that says something

Given Legacy’s recent release of the retrospective Weather Report box Forecast: Tomorrow, keyboardist Scott Kinsey’s debut as a leader couldn’t come at a better time. Most emerging pianists cite Corea, Evans, Hancock and Jarrett as influences, so it’s refreshing to hear someone whose primary reference point is Weather Report co-founder Joe Zawinul. Kinsey, like Zawinul, possesses formidable chops, but he’s equally interested in the orchestral possibilities of technology in real-time improvised settings.
Kinsey has been one of the driving forces behind fusion guitarist Scott Henderson’s Tribal Tech, joining shortly after graduating from Berklee in 1991. But he’s also explored other avenues with saxophonist Bob Belden, trumpeter Tim Hagans and guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel. Kinesthetics is the sum of Kinsey’s experiences to date. Its potent grooves mix with sounds that, despite being clearly electronic, feel wholly organic. Delineated solos exist throughout but all within the context of an interactive collective.

What’s most remarkable is that the majority of Kinesthetics was recorded in just two days with a cast of twenty including Hagans, Henderson, woodwind multi-instrumentalist Steve Tavaglione, percussionist Brad Dutz and drummer Kirk Covington. While the individual personalities come through, Kinsey’s well-developed sonic approach defines the record. Kinsey’s writing style ranges from spare to complex but always affords his players as much freedom as possible.

Percussion-heavy tracks like “Kinesthetics,” “This is That” and “Big Rock” all bear Zawinul’s unmistakable world music stamp, but avoid strict imitation in their more collaborative approach. While Zawinul has to a large extent left the jazz world behind, it remains a clearer harmonic component for Kinsey. With Tavaglione, Kinsey’s only constant partner on the record, Kinesthetics suggests where Weather Report might have gone had Zawinul and saxophonist/co-founder Wayne Shorter continued on and allowed Shorter’s change-based writing to balance out Zawinul’s disposition for powerful grooves. “Quartet” swings in its own way while “Wishing Tree”—one of three tracks partially or completely sourced from a December, 2004 live performance—is more textural, a completely improvised but focused duet featuring Kinsey’s multiplicity of textures and Tavaglione’s tenor.

Kinsey describes his approach to writing as coming up with lines and ideas, then seeing where the band can take them. But as much melodic ideas drive the band, so too do astute sonic choices. What makes technology a valid and equal partner is Kinsey’s ability to come up with innovative sounds on the fly. Even dog barks can be musical in Kinsey’s world. “Uncle Pat’s Gypsy Van”—partially sourced from the same live performance—may revolve around a simple, hypnotic eight-note phrase, but Kinsey’s aural landscape gives Covington and Tavaglione plenty to work with.

There’s no shortage of muscular playing. Kinsey doesn’t completely subscribe to Zawinul’s “everybody solos and nobody solos” aesthetic, but it does inform much of Kinesthetics. Still, with a broader set of references, Kinesthetics is an album that, with its continuous arc, appealing grooves and occasionally knotty but always appealing melodies, is one of the year’s best fusion efforts.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=23373
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: