Scott Henderson Discussion :: View topic - Kinsey, Henderson, Covington play Thursday 4/3/08 - L.A.
Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index

Scott Henderson Discussion
The Official Scott Henderson Discussion Forum

www.scotthenderson.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Kinsey, Henderson, Covington play Thursday 4/3/08 - L.A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusion07mp3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Kinsey, Henderson, Covington play Thursday 4/3/08 - L.A. Reply with quote

As someone fortunate to have known Scott Kinsey and Scott Henderson for years, I got word tonight from Scott Kinsey that the Thursday night lineup for the Scott Kinsey Group at The Baked Potato will be Kinsey, Henderson, Kirk Covington and Jimmy Earl.

I am as surprised as anyone, but as I know there is interest on this forum on this subject, I am giving folks a heads-up.

No, this doesn't mean TT will be reforming, or that Kirk will be playing in the Scott Henderson Trio. And no, it doesn't mean these three guys will ever play together again, necessarily. Henderson is taking the place of Steve Tavaglione who was originally scheduled to be on this gig, but had to cancel for medical reasons. Gary Novak, who is usually on drums for the SKG and for Henderson's local L.A. gigs, is currently touring in Europe with Mike Landau. Marvin "Smitty" Smith from The Tonight Show, who has also played a number of excellent recent gigs behind both Kinsey and Henderson, is committed to a gig elsewhere in L.A. this week. There has also recently been an effort by Kirk Covington to make right some of the things that went wrong back in 2006, and without that effort by Kirk, I am sure this gig would not be taking place.

If you haven't heard the music live from Scott Kinsey's "Kinesthetics" record, you really should check this gig out, and Kinsey has been working on new tunes as well. Recent L.A. gigs from these guys have often also featured a couple of Weather Report tunes including "Mysterious Traveler" and "Badia". The one tune remaining from TT days has been "Foreign Affairs". Jimmy Earl is doing a fabulous job playing some very difficult music as a member of the Scott Kinsey Group, and with Scott Henderson.

Again...don't read more into this than what it is...a one-time performance...at this point. If you can get there, I suggest, by all means, you do.

Tom M.
About & Out
LAJazz.com
fusiontone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that they are going to use this Asian guitarist from GIT.
fusion07mp3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusiontone wrote:
I heard that they are going to use this Asian guitarist from GIT.

I have no idea what you're referring to...but I just heard tonight from Kinsey that Jimmy Earl has a conflict with Kimmel's 1000th show party that night...so that may get subbed.
fusiontone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard through the grapevine that Scott Kinsey was going to use guitarist Jinshi Ozaki as a sub for Steve Tavaglione. Sounds like the show isn't going on after all, or is it?
fusion07mp3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusiontone wrote:
Heard through the grapevine that Scott Kinsey was going to use guitarist Jinshi Ozaki as a sub for Steve Tavaglione. Sounds like the show isn't going on after all, or is it?

Kinsey used Jinshi as a sub last week at La Ve' Lee. The gig with Henderson and Covington will happen Thursday at The Baked Potato...the question at this point is who will play bass if Jimmy Earl can't.
fusiontone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Break Granted

Last edited by fusiontone on Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
fusion07mp3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusiontone wrote:
Someone told me that Jinshi played kind of loud and sloppy and looked like he didn't know what to play most of time, he had some good ideas on some of his solos, but he wasnt always fluid. You can tell that he is a good player who was influenced by maybe John Scofield and Robben Ford. Sounds like he wasnt prepared to play that gig.

Jinshi wasn't "loud" (I was there sitting next to Kinsey and five feet from Jinshi) and had only 24 hours notice of the gig, as Kinsey had been in Michigan for nearly a month due to the illness of his father. It takes time to learn most of Kinsey's stuff, so give Jinshi a break...the highlight of the evening was Steve Tavaglione's composition "Sometimes I", which Jinshi played very well.
fusion07mp3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusion07mp3 wrote:
fusiontone wrote:

Kinsey used Jinshi as a sub last week at La Ve' Lee. The gig with Henderson and Covington will happen Thursday at The Baked Potato...the question at this point is who will play bass if Jimmy Earl can't.

And the answer is...the very able Rufus Philpot will sub for Jimmy Earl...I just heard from Kinsey. Rufus has played all the crazy Planet X stuff, so this should be a fun gig - get there if you can!
jerico

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this info, Fusion07mp3. Unfortunatly I can't be there to check it out, but it sounds like it's going to be killer. Someone film it! Wink
mylaa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reviews of the gig?
fusiontone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Break granted.
Sandro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any feedback of the gig?

Sandro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Henderson Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Henderson Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: