Scott Lerner Discussion :: View topic - Fuchs ODS - Zendrive - Redundant and unnecessary?

Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index

Scott Lerner Discussion
The Official Scott Lerner Discussion Forum

www.scottlernermusic.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Fuchs ODS - Zendrive - Redundant and unnecessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcmiller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Fuchs ODS - Zendrive - Redundant and unnecessary? Reply with quote

A quick thanks to Scott for your incredibly helpful insights and sound clips. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I have literally spent thousands of dollars over the last year alone based soley on sound clips provided by Mr Lerner.

One of those purchases was a Fuchs 50 Watt ODS which has made me a very happy camper. It's so easy to get sucked into thinking that if you only had that new shiney guitar, "warm, creamy overdrive pedal" ect, that life would be so much better, you would practise hours and hours a day. Yeah right.

Now that I've exposed the level of my own world of denial, here is my question. Would it be silly to think that buying a Zendrive or Zendrive 2 would be sensible considering I already have the "real deal" Fuchs. It's like being an addict that just can't enough of that beautiful Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Scott Lerner, Dumble tone.

My rational mind says "why in the hell would you buy a $200 pedal that is supposed to sound like the $2800 amp head I already own"?

Am I completely out of control? Has anyone used a Zendrive in tandem with a Fuchs? What would be the best compliment to a Fuchs ODS, Zendrive or Zendrive 2.

Now everyone get the hell of the internet and start practising your guitar!

Peace, Bill Miller
Tom Gross

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a bad idea, but not for use with the Fuchs, but to have on hand if you ever have to play without your amp.
I have an HAO Rumblemod, which I dig. I recently had to do a thing where you couldn't bring an amp (Guitarmageddon - let's not go there). Anyway, I am spoiled by my Fuchs mod & Two Rocks, and was very happy to be able to get that tone out of a DRRI using a pedal. Saved the day for me.
davidS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tom. I have a Zendrive on order to use with my DRRI when I am not using my Fuchs.
scottl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuchs ODS - Zendrive - Redundant and unnecessary? Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice post!

I like having the Zen around as an alternative. Great for grab and go situations or when sitting in on another rig.... Definately worth it!

I like the original Zen flavor.

I don't use it in conjunction with the Fuchs OD. Just the clean channel.

It is a more lowmid biased voice btw.... Unless you have a .01uf midcap in your amps tonestack Wink

Hope I am not contributing to anyones credit card debt!

Scott

wcmiller wrote:
A quick thanks to Scott for your incredibly helpful insights and sound clips. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I have literally spent thousands of dollars over the last year alone based soley on sound clips provided by Mr Lerner.

One of those purchases was a Fuchs 50 Watt ODS which has made me a very happy camper. It's so easy to get sucked into thinking that if you only had that new shiney guitar, "warm, creamy overdrive pedal" ect, that life would be so much better, you would practise hours and hours a day. Yeah right.

Now that I've exposed the level of my own world of denial, here is my question. Would it be silly to think that buying a Zendrive or Zendrive 2 would be sensible considering I already have the "real deal" Fuchs. It's like being an addict that just can't enough of that beautiful Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Scott Lerner, Dumble tone.

My rational mind says "why in the hell would you buy a $200 pedal that is supposed to sound like the $2800 amp head I already own"?

Am I completely out of control? Has anyone used a Zendrive in tandem with a Fuchs? What would be the best compliment to a Fuchs ODS, Zendrive or Zendrive 2.

Now everyone get the hell of the internet and start practising your guitar!

Peace, Bill Miller

Juan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuchs ODS - Zendrive - Redundant and unnecessary? Reply with quote

I agree with Tom, Scott and DavidS

now... front fender twin reverb or many good valve clean channel... sounds like dream.

Zendrive front Gallien Krueger MBE (bass head 150W solid state) with 1x12 celestion G12T75 guitar cab... has good tone (considering that is a solid state head and $250 used)

Zendrive in tanden with Fender 75 valve combo 1x15 (clean channel) the tone is really excellent. http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/75.html

Juan.
Woody

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, because I am on the verge of placing an order too.

The main reason has been to a few occasions latley where I could not take my rig and ended up desperatley missing the tone I normally have. The amps I had to go through all had nice cleans but dull overdrives

Can any one suggest which would be the better peddle to go for, the Zen Drive or the Zendrive 2? I read the ZD2 had the same tonality as the 1st one but with more drive.........

Does anyone know what the best sounding one is?
Juan

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody wrote:
Can any one suggest which would be the better peddle to go for, the Zen Drive or the Zendrive 2? I read the ZD2 had the same tonality as the 1st one but with more drive.........

Both sound excellent!

IMHO, Zen2 has more gain but less kick. (it depends the valve that is used)

I hope that Alf does not make a Zendrive3!!! Rolling Eyes another credit card debt?
Woody

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan wrote:
Woody wrote:

Both sound excellent!

IMHO, Zen2 has more gain but less kick. (it depends the valve that is used)

I hope that Alf does not make a Zendrive3!!! Rolling Eyes another credit card debt?

Thanks for the info Juan, I'll go with the the straight Zen drive, I'm not a high gain chappy anyway and if that sounds best I'll go for that!

Thanks a bundle
scottl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody, great tones you been getting lately!!! Post some of those clips here!
Woody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottl wrote:
Woody, great tones you been getting lately!!! Post some of those clips here!

Ok Bud. I've just made a page up today that has them on. They're under the Amp Pic.

Here's the link:

http://www.woodys-guitar-world.co.uk/woodyworld/demo/tworock/trSig.htm

Hope the studios going well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: