Scott Lerner Discussion :: View topic - Hey Scott...nice forum a few ?'s for you

Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index

Scott Lerner Discussion
The Official Scott Lerner Discussion Forum

www.scottlernermusic.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Hey Scott...nice forum a few ?'s for you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackaroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Hey Scott...nice forum a few ?'s for you Reply with quote

Here's one for you Scott...

I spent most of the morning breaking down II V Is, and some turnarounds. I keep hearing this tonality, and seeing this intervallic relationship in some of the lines I was transcribing. I'm not sure what it's called modally, but it seems to revolve around a 1/2 step, whole step, 1/2 step kind of pattern. Sounds like a mix of diminished and whole tone tonallities almost. I seem to hear it most on the V chord. Often with a b9. Are my ears playing tricks on me? How does this work? I understand looking at the V as an augmented chord, but raising the tonic too? I was also hearing lines with the raised 4. 3 and minor 3? Bizzare. Are there any rules !!!?Reminds me of the melodic minor scale sometimes too. What the hell is that!

How do you bebop fluent people think at first about these things to get a grip. Please spare me the whole "it's either tonic or dominant" thing. That one doesn't work for me yet. I can't help but think in terms of chords first, and how I'm playing chord tones, or extending chord tones chromatically to get to the next chord.

The whole b5 substitution concept seems tied to the tonality I'm talking about. In that the V with a b9, say C7b9 shares E, Bb and C# notes with F#dominant 7th chord a tritone below. Am I on the right track?

HELP!!!!

Thanks,

Jack
scottl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the vote of confidence Jack! Reply with quote

You are on the money Jack!!

Over the V chord is where lots of cats (me included) like to use the more outside sounding ideas. Frequently one can play the altered scale (7th mode of melodic minor) over the V. If you look at the scale, you find both a half-whole diminished sound as well as a whole tone sound!

The scale is h-w-h-w-w-w in the half step and whole step construction. Another way to look at it is to play the melodic minor scale up a half step from the root of the V.

A simple trick to try is to play a major triad a minor third below the root of the V. ie, play E triad over the G7alt in a iiV-I in the key of C.

I have lots of tips, licks, and tricks here on my site www.scottlernermusic.com/lessons

Scott
mdc58

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: thanks for your lessons page Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Great stuff on your lessons page! I noticed that the licks1b.jpg will not load. It seems to be corrupt. Is there another option for getting to that file?

Thanks
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: