Scott Lerner Discussion :: View topic - New speakers and cabinets

Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index

Scott Lerner Discussion
The Official Scott Lerner Discussion Forum

www.scottlernermusic.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

New speakers and cabinets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: New speakers and cabinets Reply with quote

Just wanted to say I am excited about trying out a bunch of new speakers and cabinets. I have several cabs on order. I have already received (2) 16 ohm Tonkers and (2) 16 ohm Wizards to try out. I have (2) 16 ohm Tonespotters on the way soon. The cabs will be here in August.

I will report back after I have an opportunity to try everything out!

Scott
Steve Carroll

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I own a pre-SLX ODS 50 head and I'm looking for a speaker and cabinet recommendation to pair it (single 12 or 2-12's). I loved the sound of the new clip you posted with the Fender 75. Would it be advantageous for me to get the SLX mod? I've just written Fuchs on the cost and details about what it does and I'm awaiting their answer. I like my amp but haven't mined the kinds of tones I'd like to get quite yet. I'm currently using a 100W ported theile Boogie single 12 cab (out of lack of anything better). It's not exaclty what I'm looking for. Didn't you used to have a 50W head from Fuchs? What did you use that you found that wasn't too mid-rangey but still had bite when you dig? I know... such adjectives don't help much but I can say I like about 75% of the tones you get so I know any answer you give will put me in th ballpark. BTW - **really** nice playing!

Steve
scottl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Carroll wrote:
Hi Scott,

I own a pre-SLX ODS 50 head and I'm looking for a speaker and cabinet recommendation to pair it (single 12 or 2-12's). I loved the sound of the new clip you posted with the Fender 75. Would it be advantageous for me to get the SLX mod? I've just written Fuchs on the cost and details about what it does and I'm awaiting their answer. I like my amp but haven't mined the kinds of tones I'd like to get quite yet. I'm currently using a 100W ported theile Boogie single 12 cab (out of lack of anything better). It's not exaclty what I'm looking for. Didn't you used to have a 50W head from Fuchs? What did you use that you found that wasn't too mid-rangey but still had bite when you dig? I know... such adjectives don't help much but I can say I like about 75% of the tones you get so I know any answer you give will put me in th ballpark. BTW - **really** nice playing!

Steve

Steve, give me a buzz at work. 800-932-0037 (after 10am M-F EST)I'll explain all about the mods. Btw, I just did these two mod clips. The first is out of tune! I really should tune first. Speaker is the Wizard. The amp used here has my latest tweaks. I am psyched. Listen to the bloom... Fwiw, SLX is more than worth it in every way. I would do it.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/july/KoolMod.MP3 Out of tune LOL

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/july/KoolMod2.MP3 Bassier setting and in tune
clovis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I've been doing some work on my Peavey 5150 2x12 combo. I am retubbing soon with a low gain retube kit from Eurotubes. I am also wanting to change the speakers and get some really good ones to improve the tone. The ones in there now are stock I believe. What can you recommend? I'm trying to smooth things out a little with the amp. I hope Bob's low gain tube kit helps...I've read reviews that say it does. I use mostly OD pedals to boost for more gain and have the amp set just enough for a small amount of breakup...

Thanks,

John R.
davidS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Your KoolMod clips are absolutely awesome! The bloom/feedback you are getting now is amazing especially at the levels I assume your are recording at. Did you do these clips with one of your production amps or one of the SLX'd mods? Your clip on The GearPage using Fig's mod sounded absolutely great as well.

Your tone and playing - fantastic as always!
scottl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eminence Wizard is my first choice. Fat and smooth. I have the Tonespotters here and have high hopes for them but I can't comment on them until I try them.

clovis wrote:
Scott,

I've been doing some work on my Peavey 5150 2x12 combo. I am retubbing soon with a low gain retube kit from Eurotubes. I am also wanting to change the speakers and get some really good ones to improve the tone. The ones in there now are stock I believe. What can you recommend? I'm trying to smooth things out a little with the amp. I hope Bob's low gain tube kit helps...I've read reviews that say it does. I use mostly OD pedals to boost for more gain and have the amp set just enough for a small amount of breakup...

Thanks,

John R.

scottl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David! I recorded on about 9 oclock on the master. So, it was loud but not real loud. Since these clips I discovered a big mistake I made and fixed it. Here is the result. Much fuller tone with a nice high end. THis is my mod. http://www.scottlernermusic.com/august/75Mod250plusbleed.MP3 Wizard and SM57.

Scott

davidS wrote:
Hi Scott,

Your KoolMod clips are absolutely awesome! The bloom/feedback you are getting now is amazing especially at the levels I assume your are recording at. Did you do these clips with one of your production amps or one of the SLX'd mods? Your clip on The GearPage using Fig's mod sounded absolutely great as well.

Your tone and playing - fantastic as always!

davidS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

Thanks for the 75 clip. Great tone. It definitely has more bloom, low mid growl, and a silky smooth top end. Do you think my Fuchs/Traynor can be tweaked to achieve more of these characteristics? I love the tone I get from my mod with the EL34s and big iron, but I sure would like the additional mid growl and bloom.

Thanks, David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: