Scott Lerner Discussion :: View topic - Summertime changes and Backing Track

Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index

Scott Lerner Discussion
The Official Scott Lerner Discussion Forum

www.scottlernermusic.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Summertime changes and Backing Track

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azgolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Summertime changes and Backing Track Reply with quote

Scott,

First let me say thanks for all the clips on your website. You an amazing player ! I'm working my way through Summertime-dirty and I'm wondering if it is just Dm7 Dm7 Dm7 Dm7 Gm Gm Em7b5 A7b13b9 the whole way through ? I really like where you play what seems to be a Bb melodic minor to Dmin9, then Fmaj7 lick in bars 16 and 17 of the transcription, but I can't see how it fits the ii V minor. Also is that Band in a Box or do you have a backing track available ?

Thanks for all the great music,

Fred
scottl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Summertime changes and Backing Track Reply with quote

Thanks Fred! I need to check the clip and transcription out. I am heading out to work right now but please email me to remind me and I will respond. Summertime is a minor ii-V type tune, but the bridge goes to that Fmaj7 then ii-Valt back to the tonic.

That clip was Aebersold music minus one.

Here is another Summertime clip. Much different backing! http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/Summertime.mp3

Scott

azgolfer wrote:
Scott,

First let me say thanks for all the clips on your website. You an amazing player ! I'm working my way through Summertime-dirty and I'm wondering if it is just Dm7 Dm7 Dm7 Dm7 Gm Gm Em7b5 A7b13b9 the whole way through ? I really like where you play what seems to be a Bb melodic minor to Dmin9, then Fmaj7 lick in bars 16 and 17 of the transcription, but I can't see how it fits the ii V minor. Also is that Band in a Box or do you have a backing track available ?

Thanks for all the great music,

Fred

azgolfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Got it Reply with quote

Actually, I think I've figured it out. It sounds like there is an Eb9 between the Gm and the Dm. So the Bb Melodic minor fits this, then the Dmin9 for Dm (although this stretches into the Em7b5, but I think it's a slightly different turnaround, some kind of Dm lick on the piano instead of the Em7b5), then over the A7 alt, its almost an A altered arpeggio, +5 1 3 +5 +9, but instead of 3 you play the natural 5. The notes are the same as Fmaj7, but I think it functions as the altered dominant. On another note your solo on Riviera Paradise rules !! Yours is the last one on that CyberJammers thing, right ?
scottl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it Reply with quote

azgolfer wrote:
Actually, I think I've figured it out. It sounds like there is an Eb9 between the Gm and the Dm. So the Bb Melodic minor fits this, then the Dmin9 for Dm (although this stretches into the Em7b5, but I think it's a slightly different turnaround, some kind of Dm lick on the piano instead of the Em7b5), then over the A7 alt, its almost an A altered arpeggio, +5 1 3 +5 +9, but instead of 3 you play the natural 5. The notes are the same as Fmaj7, but I think it functions as the altered dominant. On another note your solo on Riviera Paradise rules !! Yours is the last one on that CyberJammers thing, right ?

Yep... That be me! Thanks for listening. I think I'll hit the archives since I have not heard that in years!!!

Please feel free to ask me about subs and stuff.... I'll try and answer if I can. Sometimes I develop a motif with disregard for the actual harmony. I have a resolution in mind and the phrase may be strong enough to carry on with some "bad" notes. Keeps the transcribers guessing... LOL

Scott
azgolfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Subs Reply with quote

Actuallly, I've know about subs for a long time, it 's just that when I tried to use them, to quote your pork pie hat lesson, I sounded like total dogs--t. It's a revelation to hear them in a rock context with great tone. I've figured out some Wes solos, so I've heard a lot of them used well, but it's great to hear them work so well in a Stevie Ray song.

P.S. How about a version of Pork Pie hat for your website ?
scottl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Subs Reply with quote

azgolfer wrote:
Actuallly, I've know about subs for a long time, it 's just that when I tried to use them, to quote your pork pie hat lesson, I sounded like total dogs--t. It's a revelation to hear them in a rock context with great tone. I've figured out some Wes solos, so I've heard a lot of them used well, but it's great to hear them work so well in a Stevie Ray song.

P.S. How about a version of Pork Pie hat for your website ?

Good idea on Pork Pie! However, that lesson clip is something someone gave me from a Henderson lesson at GIT! I am definately honored that you think I can play like that! Scott H is one of the greats and I certainly aspire to that type of mastery...... Scott H is the king of sliding in and out during an SRV blues for sure!

Scott
scottl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get the lesson from?? I don't think it is on my site.

Just curious.

Thanks!
azgolfer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Pork Pie Reply with quote

From the Robben Ford discussion list

Quote:
One from my archives.... (scott #1 not I)

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/ftp/scott-goodbyeporkpielesson.mp3

I guess I wasn't paying attention (scott #1 is henderson), maybe I'll request one from his board, too Smile. Btw, speaking of GIT and Robben check out this version of Footprints at the RF discussion.

http://www.online-discussion.com/RobbenFord/viewtopic.php?t=1456
scottl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for the Footprints heads-up!

Anmazing stuff. I really appreciate it!!!

Here is something funny... Around the same time as the GIT recording of Robben. Here is a clip from a recital I did at Berklee. Footprints.... From 1989.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/ScottLerner-BerkleeRecitalFootprints89.mp3
azgolfer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Footprints Reply with quote

Thanks ! Interesting to hear the different takes on the same tune. Definitely shows that there are a lot of harmonic possibities over straight minor chords.
Jazzpick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottl wrote:
Wow! Thanks for the Footprints heads-up!

Anmazing stuff. I really appreciate it!!!

Here is something funny... Around the same time as the GIT recording of Robben. Here is a clip from a recital I did at Berklee. Footprints.... From 1989.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/music/ScottLerner-BerkleeRecitalFootprints89.mp3

yaaahh guaooo!! you got me tied to chair with this live solo clip from your recital .. I enjoy too the latinized doubled time form band . Great document Scott ..thank you!

Carlos

http ://www.carlosarellano.com/music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: