Scott Lerner Discussion :: View topic - Speakers

Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index

Scott Lerner Discussion
The Official Scott Lerner Discussion Forum

www.scottlernermusic.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Speakers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Speakers Reply with quote

There is a lot of discussion of the Eminence speakers with the fuchs ODS or Dumble type sounds, Does anyone have much experience with Celestions such as g12 century, Classic 80 etc. I am looking to fill a couple 2 x 12 cabs
davidS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of G12-65s in an old Fender "Deluxe" 2X12 cab that I use with my Fuchs. I love them and think they sound great. They are the speakers Robben use to use with his Dumble until he had a hard time finding replacements. Two-Rock and Weber both have their versions of that speaker. The THD cabs with the Classic 80s sound really good with a Fuchs. Scott has recorded many clips using that cab and speakers. I think he also likes the new Eminence Red, White, and Blues with the Fuchs. I bet Scott has tested more speakers than anyone with a Fuchs.
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: speakers Reply with quote

Thanks David, Have you heard anything about the reissues they have of the G12-65 ?
davidS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Jon, I have only seen ads or promotional pieces for them. It will be interesting to see how they compare with the originals. I bet they are going to be expensive though.
scottl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys....

Early on I used the THD 2X12 with the Celestion Lead 80s. ALways sounded great! I kept trying other speakers but the Lead 80 clips I have done always sounded great.

As far as Eminence is concerned, although there are good tones in the Wizard and Tonespotter, they have bad cone cry and peculiar response. I am much preferring the Red White and Blues.

I have an old set of Celestion G12-65s. I should load them up and see how they sound these days. I remember not caring for my particular set much. I should contact Celestion about getting a demo set.

My Josie clip is the alnico Weber 1265. That speaker is nice too.... Trouble is that I have so many speakers laying around and little desire to swap them in and out!

Scott
Jon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Speakers Reply with quote

Hey Scott,

If your in need of some storage space Andy's got my address "Lol"
scottl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!

Where you at??

Btw, I tried a Century and it was horrid bright trash..... HATED it.
Jon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: speakers Reply with quote

I'm out of Kansas City. If you need me to store those things just let me know. I ordered a RWB & a Classic lead 80, Thought I'd compare before I filled my cabs.

Thx
Jon
bjm007

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the RW&B's but found them to be pretty dark compared to the tone I'm striving for. Did anyone else have the same experience? I'm more of a Celestion G12H30 kind of guy so that may predispose me to a little more in the upper midrange area...

I also tried the new Southbay Ampworks (Scumback) G12H30 55hz (in the 65 watt version), and I do like the top end a bit better.

I'm going to try the new Celestion Heritage Series G12-65 when they come out later this summer, for what its worth.

So, any thoughts about the RW&B's being a little on the dark side?

There are a lot of Gear Page threads concerning various Eminence and Celestion comparisons, but they've been out of action for a while lately, so I thought I would check with you guys over here...

Thanks very much...........
Jon

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: RWB Reply with quote

II actually have been trying a lot of different speakers. At first try I also thought the RWB's seemed a little dark however after playing a while they kind of changed character. Right now I am actually running a RWB with a Wizard, so far they sound pretty good together, however I haven't been using them long enough for a final conclusion.
dave_c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone try Tone Tubbies with the ODS/TDS series? I've got one in a Hot Cat 30R 1x12 combo and it was a MAJOR improvement over the stock BC-modified Vintage 30. Usually, every amp sounds 10x better into my Jenkins H61 w/ G12H30s (British made Celestions), but the HC30R doesn't like it. I just ordered a TDS-50 via Michael Lewis and he says I should love the Fuchs into the Jenkins w/ G12H-30s, but I'm always open to suggestions...like everybody else around here! Wink
Jon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Speakers Reply with quote

I haven't tried any of the Tone Tubbys, However i do hear good things about them. I have been using 1 RWB and on Wizard and I think that combination has a fantastic tone IMHO. I also have a THD cab with a Cel vin 80 and thier longhorn which is a g12 type and it really shines also.
dave_c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
I haven't tried any of the Tone Tubbys, However i do hear good things about them. I have been using 1 RWB and on Wizard and I think that combination has a fantastic tone IMHO. I also have a THD cab with a Cel vin 80 and thier longhorn which is a g12 type and it really shines also.

That's good news for me then because I hear the Wizard and RWB are both modeled after the Celestion G12H-30 (which I currently have in my Jenkins). I know Santana is a big fan of the Tone Tubbies with his Dumble, so it's reasonable to assume they might be worth checking out with the TDS/ODS too. Too many options... Shocked
scottl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

Hmmm... The Wizard and RWB sound nothing alike to me. Can't really say what the RWB is like.

Wondering now..... Question

dave_c wrote:
Jon wrote:

That's good news for me then because I hear the Wizard and RWB are both modeled after the Celestion G12H-30 (which I currently have in my Jenkins). I know Santana is a big fan of the Tone Tubbies with his Dumble, so it's reasonable to assume they might be worth checking out with the TDS/ODS too. Too many options... Shocked

dave_c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Speakers Reply with quote

scottl wrote:
Hmmm... The Wizard and RWB sound nothing alike to me. Can't really say what the RWB is like.

Wondering now..... Question

dave_c wrote:
Jon wrote:

Michael Lewis told me the RWBs were modeled after the G12H-30, but Andy's website says the Wizard was modeled after the G12H-30. Will the real modeled-after-G12H-30 please stand up? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: