Scott Lerner Discussion :: View topic - Jenkins Sound speaker cabinet report

Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index

Scott Lerner Discussion
The Official Scott Lerner Discussion Forum

www.scottlernermusic.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

Jenkins Sound speaker cabinet report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Jenkins Sound speaker cabinet report Reply with quote

Here are my quick takes on my new Jenkins Sound speaker cabs:

I received 1X12 and 2X12 cabinets. Both cabs have a 2 piece back for semi-open or closed back operation. I prefer open.

I loaded the 1X12 with my Eminence RWB and I loaded the 2X12 with Celestion Lead 80s and then an old set of Celestion G1265

First off, the 1X12 is amazing. Huge 3D tone and smooth! I can see this being my go to cab.... I have no complaints. Sounded amazing with all my Fuchsen, as well as my Glaswerks SOD50 in both 80s and 90s voice.

The 2X12 is a bigger tone than the 1X12 but it doesn't seem to be as open on the low end. I attribute this to the diagonal speaker config in it. The port is an opening at the top part of the back. One speaker is partially open, the other is lower mounted and is backed by the back baffle. I think if the port were and inch or two bigger, or if the back was ported in the center so both speakers had open air behind them, the cab would sound even better. Don't get me wrong, it does sound great already. I just knwo it could be a little better.

The 2X12 with the unbroken in Lead 80 speakers was super smooth. The voice lent itself well to the Fuchsen and the Glaswerks in 80s voice. The 90s voice, although nice, was far better with the 1X12 cab and RWB speaker.

I then installed the vintage set of G1265 speakers. These were a bit more open than the Lead 80s. Once again great tones on all the amps. My only small complaint is that the bottom end of the 2X12 has a more direct and slightly "thwapy" quality due to the port config.

As a control, I brought out my THD 2X12 loaded with the THD Vintage drivers. With the THD back as delivered (both back pieces installed) The cab was too focused and had that same 'thwap" on the low stuff. Removing the top part of the back making it a much more open back, solved the problem. TO my ears, it is a much smoother and blooming tone.... Great sounds and great ergonomics.

But..... The Jenkins 1X12 KICKS ass. I am in love with that and the RWB.

I'll upload some pics later.

Scott
mdc58

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I've been keeping an eye open for a good 1x12. I'd be interested in seing some pics. The Jenkins site only has 1 very small pic of the 1x12.

-Mike
dave_c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jenkins Sound speaker cabinet report Reply with quote

scottl wrote:

I received 1X12 and 2X12 cabinets. Both cabs have a 2 piece back for semi-open or closed back operation. I prefer open.

I loaded the 1X12 with my Eminence RWB and I loaded the 2X12 with Celestion Lead 80s and then an old set of Celestion G1265

First off, the 1X12 is amazing. Huge 3D tone and smooth! I can see this being my go to cab.... I have no complaints. Sounded amazing with all my Fuchsen, as well as my Glaswerks SOD50 in both 80s and 90s voice.

The 2X12 is a bigger tone than the 1X12 but it doesn't seem to be as open on the low end. I attribute this to the diagonal speaker config in it. The port is an opening at the top part of the back. One speaker is partially open, the other is lower mounted and is backed by the back baffle. I think if the port were and inch or two bigger, or if the back was ported in the center so both speakers had open air behind them, the cab would sound even better. Don't get me wrong, it does sound great already. I just knwo it could be a little better.

The 2X12 with the unbroken in Lead 80 speakers was super smooth. The voice lent itself well to the Fuchsen and the Glaswerks in 80s voice. The 90s voice, although nice, was far better with the 1X12 cab and RWB speaker.

I then installed the vintage set of G1265 speakers. These were a bit more open than the Lead 80s. Once again great tones on all the amps. My only small complaint is that the bottom end of the 2X12 has a more direct and slightly "thwapy" quality due to the port config.

As a control, I brought out my THD 2X12 loaded with the THD Vintage drivers. With the THD back as delivered (both back pieces installed) The cab was too focused and had that same 'thwap" on the low stuff. Removing the top part of the back making it a much more open back, solved the problem. TO my ears, it is a much smoother and blooming tone.... Great sounds and great ergonomics.

Scott

Thanks for the report, Scott!

I don't know about the Jenkins 1x12, but I have the Highway 61 2x12 w/ very broken in Celestion British G12H-30s and, so far, it has sounded bigger, badder, smoother and more open than any cab I've had next to it, including the THD 2x12 (which sounded like a buzzy little transistor radio next to the Jenkins).
dave_c

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jenkins Sound speaker cabinet report Reply with quote

scottl wrote:

Scott

BTW, is the RWB Eminence's take on the G12H-30?

What do you think of Weber's G12H-30s (including the 55Hz version)?
scottl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Jenkins Sound speaker cabinet report Reply with quote

The RWB is a little smoother and darker than a G12H30, maybe? I don't have one here to compare it with. I do have a Wizard and they are quite different! I have some Weber G12H30-55 speakers here and I have not tried them out in my stuff for years!!! They are currently in my Rivera Quiana.

I am real excited to try out the new Celestion Heritage G1265 speakers! I have been warming up to my old set of Celestion 1265s lately....

Scott

[quote="dave_c"]
scottl wrote:

dave_c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jenkins Sound speaker cabinet report Reply with quote

[quote="scottl"]The RWB is a little smoother and darker than a G12H30, maybe? I don't have one here to compare it with. I do have a Wizard and they are quite different! I have some Weber G12H30-55 speakers here and I have not tried them out in my stuff for years!!! They are currently in my Rivera Quiana.

I am real excited to try out the new Celestion Heritage G1265 speakers! I have been warming up to my old set of Celestion 1265s lately....

Scott

dave_c wrote:
scottl wrote:

I'm interested in the Celestion Heritage G1265s myself! Thanks for the info on the RWBs. Have you run an ODS/TDS into a Tone Tubby yet? I have one in a Hot Cat 30R and it sounds 10x better than the stock V30 - smoother, richer, etc. But, my other amps don't care for it, at least in the HC30R cab.

I have also toyed with the idea of getting a spare 2x12 cab and I've been looking into the Avatar Premiere Vintage. I like the ability to move the open slot in the back and the construction looks as good as cabs costing 3x as much! Maybe that and a pair of RWBs or Heritage 1265s would be nice for the TDS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scott Lerner Discussion Forum Index -> Scott Lerner Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: