Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Music Theory Question
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Music Theory Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmatz2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Music Theory Question Reply with quote

I've started to spend some time to better under stand Music Theory. (so I'm a rookie at this) Anyway I'm looking at Sympathy for the Devil and trying to analyse what to play over the changes. (Besides just wail in E minor pentatonic)

Progression is as follows (in case your not familiar with it)

E D A E Chorus B E

I would call this the key of A based upon the following

A bm C#m D E f#m g#m A ( A D and E being Major) and the Bmajor works because B is the the V of the V in A

Since the first chord in the progression is E

the scale to play would be

E f# G# A B c# D E (E mixolydian)

Is my analysis correct

Thanks in advance for grading my homework assignement Smile

Paul
kimock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Music Theory Question Reply with quote

pmatz2 wrote:
I've started to spend some time to better under stand Music Theory. (so I'm a rookie at this) Anyway I'm looking at Sympathy for the Devil and trying to analyse what to play over the changes. (Besides just wail in E minor pentatonic)

Progression is as follows (in case your not familiar with it)

E D A E Chorus B E

I would call this the key of A based upon the following

A bm C#m D E f#m g#m A ( A D and E being Major) and the Bmajor works because B is the the V of the V in A

Since the first chord in the progression is E

the scale to play would be

E f# G# A B c# D E (E mixolydian)

Is my analysis correct

Thanks in advance for grading my homework assignement :-)

Paul

Paul, that's not quite it..
I can see where you're coming from, but there's no point in trying to analyze a blues based rock tune from the perspective of diatonic harmony.

The tune is in E, the key signature isn't the same thing as the tonic in this case.
Any of those chords could work as 7th chords, or sus chords, so trying to find a single "major scale" type "scale" to serve as a melodic resource is going to be missing a lot of color.

The E chord is just as likely to carry G, B flat, as G# and B.
The D chord would be fine with C instead of C#,
The A probably needs a C, etc.

Blues and Blues based rock music is difficult to conform to the diatonic system. Too many tri-tones! Thank God!

There are endless approaches to this style, and we can get into them if you want, but the diatonic chord/scale thing will be of very little use.

Thanks for posting that and raising those issues.
Your demonstration of the failure of conventional "music theory" to deal with what should be an easy piece deserves an A+.
pmatz2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Music Theory Question Reply with quote

Steve Thanks for the response

I can see why the key signature is A. But everything else screams this is in E especially, the Chorus B to E

Also I think my V of V statement was wrong. V of V goes down not up as I stated

I would like to look at some the approaches to this style. I figure starting out with a sound that I'm used to will help me to hear the new colors better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: