Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - The Norva 3/7/09--Steve's Rig?
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

The Norva 3/7/09--Steve's Rig?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Steve's music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobbes1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy the quest for tone continues....i know about that one!

thanks for the explanation. i look forward to the next time you come back to Va or NorthEast NC. don't be a stranger and be sure to bring melvin with you (well, and the rest of crazy engine, too)! that b3 makes me break out in goosebumps everytime..
kimock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobbes1 wrote:
be sure to bring melvin with you. . . that b3 makes me break out in goosebumps everytime..

Just FYI, that's my own personal Hammond B3 and Leslie that Melvin used on that gig, and no, for some reason it doesn't sound like that when I play it!

His own rig only sounds 11teen times better. . .
hobbes1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 11teen times better? well, that's not so bad Shocked

still, i just use a sampletank 2.5L and a keyboard controller for my B3 fixes...so, i think your B3 rig would still be the bomb. must be a pain hauling it around the barn though....
Joel-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: The Norva Reply with quote

Hi Steve. First of all, I saw both nights in Norfolk and was overwhelmed with joy each night. Very Happy I was wondering if you have retired the Dumble? And if so, why? I saw 2 Two Rock's up there... and didn't see it last time I saw you play.(Teaneck for your b-day) I've read on here that they are similiar to the Type 3, correct? And I was the one who was screaming Tounge and Groove the whole first night. And it wasn't the person who yelled it to you at the end of the last set. Lol I listened to the recording... I was actualy outside for a minute when you said, "who said that?" But it was me who yelled it the last night. Lol Thanks so much for playing it!!!

And the energy was so intense the first night and the second night was so much more lax. Did that have something to do with the amount of people in the crowd? I saw you come out the last night and immediately sensed that the music was going to play out different. Or did you plan to play a set like that? And sorry for rambling I guess... I'll see you for Falls Church and Annapolis, cya!
kimock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Norva Reply with quote

Joel- wrote:
Hi Steve. First of all, I saw both nights in Norfolk and was overwhelmed with joy each night. :D I was wondering if you have retired the Dumble? And if so, why?

Kinda sorta semi-retired, yeah. I still break it out for an occasional gig, but those amps are so expensive now that I worry about it, and I have enough to worry about as it is.
Quote:
I saw 2 Two Rock's up there... and didn't see it last time I saw you play.(Teaneck for your b-day) I've read on here that they are similiar to the Type 3, correct?

Pretty much the same thing, some different parts, mostly salvaged from misc. other old amps, but usually the identical values to the TR stuff, just old and broken in. My amps are test mules, they've been built and stripped and added on to and rebuilt again. The production stuff is much nicer, but it's fun to be able to work on the development of new ideas with Bill, so I'm fine with the Frankenstein approach.
Quote:
And I was the one who was screaming Tounge and Groove the whole first night. And it wasn't the person who yelled it to you at the end of the last set. Lol I listened to the recording... I was actualy outside for a minute when you said, "who said that?" But it was me who yelled it the last night. Lol Thanks so much for playing it!!!

Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Quote:
And the energy was so intense the first night and the second night was so much more lax. Did that have something to do with the amount of people in the crowd? I saw you come out the last night and immediately sensed that the music was going to play out different. Or did you plan to play a set like that? And sorry for rambling I guess... I'll see you for Falls Church and Annapolis, cya!

The energy bit between the two nights was partly the crowd, partly getting the stage more dialed in for better listening the second night, partly less struggling against the ambient noise of a full house, and partly a generally higher comfort level for a brand new band.
So night two was a little more dynamic and relaxed, for me at least, because of the more listenable production.
I changed a bunch of stuff in my rig for the second night as well. Not everything was working as well as it could have been the first night.

I don't really plan to play a certain way beyond just trying to "get empty" enough to be sensitive to the energy in the room. I don't really mean to impose myself on it, I just like to help keep it spinning or whatever it wants to do. Whatever. . .

Quintessential avatar, very nice. . .
Joel-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, umm cheekin, good cheenin. Lol I dont know if you remember that quote from the movie. When she is eating chicken. Smile

I absoutley love your music and also think its really cool that your willin to talk about your music on here, great stuff... And I never got one of your guitar pics. Lol I have this habit of half harrassing Charlie when I come to see you. He said he grab one for me. Lol He is really cool as well. And also very helpful... Well, I guess I'll see you in a few weeks. Cya and thanks!
hobbes1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, steve i meant to ask you, did any special guests ever show that weekend at the norva? i heard that trey sent an amp over but didn't make it himself...i wasn't able to stay the entire night on saturday..just curious what went down..
Frankenstrat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather, no one did any sitting in. Trey had his rig sent over, in anticipation of sitting in. But, I'm sure he was pretty burnt after seeing just how many tunes they played at those shows.

"Me, Supreme Being." Lelu.
Eric_n_Bend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice to get the
perspective from the artists own fingers
regarding his equipment. It is always
interesting and entertaining to
not only get to the heart of the matter regarding Steve's
guitars and set up.

Wonderful you say
and I would agree with you
that it is a special treat to be
entertained in such a way as to
remain informed.

T
h
a
n
k
s
pitterimpede

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. well, it looked like something of the sort as there were at times, two different cable plugged in to a guitar. one of which appeared to be the standard guitar cable and the other looked to be either an XLR or MIDI type of plug on it. it seemed to be some sort of non-standard guitar cable and co-incided with a synth type of sound blended in with the standard two rock sound. it could have been pitch shifting/octave doubling i suppose. it sounded good but different than i expected. i'm gonna check out the video now.

thanks!
Razz Razz
lindarose11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post.
Bad Ice Cream
phamyen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: good Reply with quote

great article, I was very impressed about it, wish you would have stayed next share
Stick RPG 2
carengabriel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Essay Writing Service & Help UK avail 15% discount UK Reply with quote

Hi, This is Caren Gabriel from the London UK. I am an expert academic writer in the domain of essay writing and working for UK Essay Tigers. All UK students are getting high-grade university essay help uk at the lowest price and achieving success. My aim is to satisfy student paper writing requirement and supplies it to them before the deadline.
happywheelspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth to know about this. Thanks for sharing and letting us know, happy wheels
ajalex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
Spinner tools
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Steve's music All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: