Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Dealing with built-in Commas in Lap Steel Tunings
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Dealing with built-in Commas in Lap Steel Tunings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalaland

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Dealing with built-in Commas in Lap Steel Tunings Reply with quote

Ok, so my band has been playing 'Gay Sons of Lesbian Mothers', a beautiful tune by one of the best young guitarists out there IMHO, Kaki King. Its basically a step-wise petatonic tuning with a major 7th at the top.

F G A C D E

Now, the tune is in A minor, so that fudges things some, but tune that up in the key of F major (only two wound strings).
I am having such problems with this. I tune it to just, but that sixth is giving me such a rash. Pythagorean? Or up a third and down a fifth? Having that G in such a low position on that tuning makes it really difficult to live with the just version of that sixth beacuse of the awful beating, but that pythagorean sixth doesn't sit will at all with the F, or the just major seventh E.

I don't have any problem with this in tunings where the second is above the sixth, such as my tuning for my own 'Tree Song' :
B C# E F# B E (just; in the key of E major).
But having that second below the sixth is killing me. Any thoughts?

BTW, if you guys haven't tried the step-wise tuning stuff, it's beautiful. Really thick, full chords. Just really hard to tune...
Swain

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tune the G a little flat, and use pressure from the Bar/Slide to bend to pitch when needed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: