Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bennett

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have been craving some dirt in my tone... I was listening to the show you played Godfrey Daniels. What overdrive/distortion/fuzz were you using during 7+5?

peace-
Ben
kimock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive Reply with quote

Bennett wrote:
Hello All,

I have been craving some dirt in my tone... I was listening to the show you played Godfrey Daniels. What overdrive/distortion/fuzz were you using during 7+5?

peace-
Ben

Hi Ben, the distortion at that gig was my old Vox Tone Bender.
That would be a germanium fuzz box generically, if you were wanting to differentiate it along the overdrive/distortion/fuzz lines.
Germanium fuzz. . .
Normally I would prefer either turning up the amp or using an overdrive pedal like the Hao Sole Pressure (cheap!!) with the amp turned up a little, but that place was too tiny to turn the amp up!!!

I'm not the "pedal guy", so don't take the above examples as recommendations against anything else, that's just some stuff that works for me, my string gauges, pickups, the way I set my amps, my touch, taste, budget, etc.
I've had the Vox forever, I couldn't afford one if I had to but it today. They're 'collectable' now. . . *sigh* . ..

peace!
Bennett

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

I was guessing it had to be a pedal of some variety. I was looking at your set-up from that show and it looked like you were running a bandmaster (or a bassman) and some other amp. I looked like the folks in that venue would've been turned to dust if you kicked one of those amps into a place where the "hair" on each note was THAT unkempt.

As a side note, what was the other amp in the stereo set-up?

I usually play at slightly louder than bedroom volumes and am looking for some sparkly fuzz (not a video game sounding totally clipped fuzz)... I'll look into tone bender "sound-alike."

Anybody have a time tested and mother approved suggestion.

thanks and peace-Ben
kimock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennett wrote:
hello,

As a side note, what was the other amp in the stereo set-up?

That was two Bandmasters, two JBL 15's, and misc. tweakage . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: