Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Possible 70s Pro Reverb Acquisition -- Any Wisdom?
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Possible 70s Pro Reverb Acquisition -- Any Wisdom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavaspin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Possible 70s Pro Reverb Acquisition -- Any Wisdom? Reply with quote

I'll be looking at a 70s (not sure whether early or late but initial inquiry suggests early) Fender Pro Reverb. Possibly trading for one of my teles.

I already have too many amps, but had kept my eye open for a nice Fender. I'm okay with fat and clean if that's what it doles out.

I probably won't have a tech look at it before doing the trade. Nor, will I be pulling the chassis. Anything I should look for, other than how it sounds? Anybody have any experience with these?
lavaspin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Wiki, I don't want the later 70s era Pro Reverbs:

"Around 1974 a master volume control with pull boost was added and, two years later, three way EQ and the replacement of the tube rectifier with a solid state rectifier and an increase in output to 70 watts. The "ultra-linear" solid state rectifier versions are perhaps the least desirable of the Pro Reverbs"

I think the three way EQ the above mentions means more knobs on the front? If so, I can see from the pic that just has 5 knobs on the right side. I'll email the guy about the pull boost. Anyway I can easily tell whether this has the solid state rectifier? I guess if I know the number of tubes I can figure it out from that...

Any idea on appropriate prices for the earlier 70s in this economy? The Wiki say $400-500 but I've seen other sites say more....
57tele

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the consensus on the master volume Fenders is that they aren't so great. I certainly never cared much for the ones I've played. This may be of some use:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-367065.html

Of course, as with all of this, YMMV.
lavaspin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pass. I really don't like lugging big combos around anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: