Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - teaching your kids
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

teaching your kids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Your stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lance uppercut

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: teaching your kids Reply with quote

Hi - this didn't fit nicely in any one forum, so I figured this would be the most inoffensive place for it.

I'm curious as to everyone's approach for getting their little ones started playing music. I'm jumping the gun for sure, mine is just turning two, but its too exciting a concept to not think about.

I don't have many real specific questions, just want to get thoughts/advice. one question I do have is recommended first instrument - uke? piano? violin? percussion? and why.

thanks very much.
plord

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: teaching your kids Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious as to everyone's approach for getting their little ones started playing music. I'm jumping the gun for sure, mine is just turning two, but its too exciting a concept to not think about.

I started by playing guitar to my son; I have a video of him just barely able to sit up, flailing at the strings with both hands while I moved around chords. But honestly, children won't have the dexterity for guitar until they are maybe 5 or 6; our oldest is 9, and she's only just now able to play most chords on her travel-size guitar.

So for the boy, I took a crappy old Merrill lap steel, plugged it into a small amp, gave him the bar, and let him go to town. So, ok, now the Merrill has dents all over it, and the strings have kinks in them in some places from all the banging. But in the last couple of weeks (he'll be 3 years old in July) he has stopped just banging madly, and is trying to play single strings, in the rhythm (but not the notes) of one of his favorite songs. I've been very very hands off, mainly to avoid making him mad by showing him things he can't yet understand or physically do. It's worked so far; he will play any instrument I put near him.

So I've provided a target-rich environment Smile As soon as he could walk, I started leaving musical instruments around. A kid's floor tom and shakers, which we would play rhythmic games with; harmonicas and recorders, and we sang songs all the time. If I am in the room with him, I leave the whole music studio turned on and just let him play the synths and drum machines. We had some talks early on about how to treat gear gently, and with the exception of the hammering on the lap steel, he hasn't harmed a single thing. Oh, he'll untune my guitars sometimes, but so what.

What I haven't done yet is buy any high quality, child-sized instrument for him to have as his own. I figure he'll gravitate towards one instrument or another soon enough, and then I'll see what is out there that will work for him.

Paul
mrbowenz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Paul !

lance uppercut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks very much Paul - great approach, and good luck to you!
plord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, thanks very much Paul - great approach, and good luck to you!

I wish I could say I had a master plan, but honestly, this is just what evolved. Very Happy I'm really happy with how it is working out so far. Best of luck to you also!

Paul
lance uppercut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - took a page from Kimock's book (pretty good book btw) and bought my son a rather inexpensive, and hopefully indestructible, kalimba. naturally I got myself one too, lol. he's just monkeying with it right now, but hopefully we'll progress to playing the full scale over the next few months.

so, thumb drums - so far so good.
J-R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

One night late term when my son was in mom's utero he was really thrashing around in there when I put my jumbo dreadnought 12-string into contact with mom's belly and strummed an also sprach zarathustra E chord. Suddenly it was very quiet in there.

At 18 he plays a little guitar once in a while, liked guitar hero a lot, and acts fairly normal, I guess. He likes to listen to music a lot, which I suppose is the important thing. Have fun with the shorties and may you stay forever young thank you Bob.
plord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update, the 3 y.o. boy I talk about in this thread is nine now, and about to start his second year of tabla lessons.

So I guess he picked an instrument

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Your stuff All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: