Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - NeoMag speakers?
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

NeoMag speakers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: NeoMag speakers? Reply with quote

So I see that the Weber folks have a Neomag 15, 15" speaker, rated for 75W, weighing in under 10 lbs. A (comparatively) lightweight 15" cab to pair with my Kimock Sig? Innnnnnnteresting! Shoot, that's almost light enough to think about a combo.

Anybody played these things (or other neodimium speakers) yet? How do they sound? Compared to what? Am I right in thinking that a single 75W speaker on the tube recto'd 50W Kimock Sig, *more than likely plugged into the next tap down from the speakers rated impedance*, is gonna be ok?

This is where you all probably tell me that the right answer is to buy a back brace and a D130...
HaasSauce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't tried the weber, but the jensen neo 12-100 is a fine speaker. kind of like a featherweight EVM 12L. pretty flat and clean. i use them in my keyboard rig and my back thanks me every time Smile
plord

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HS. I haven't really done the legwork with speakers. I had an EV for a bit, liked the sound but the sealed, no handles, mahogany cab it was in was just too damned heavy. So a lighter version of that definitely has some appeal.

I have WeberBlue Pup/Blue Dogs in my little single ended amps, for that application they are fantastic but those amps have no headroom to speak of. They tout the Neomags for JBL replacements; just poking around the net it's hard to get trustworthy verification of that claim Smile
HaasSauce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another one to consider is the eminence kappalite

it's a little flatter than the EV or Jensen, not as sparkly up top (which can be a good or bad thing depending on your amp/tastes). It has huge headroom (400w) and is super-light.
plord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search continues. HaaSSauce in this thread and Steve in another both say the Jensen neos sound pretty good. Opinions around the net on the Weber neos are all over the map, seems like the early batch had some issues? The 15" Weber neomags have a 75w power rating; the 15" Jensen neo has a 150W as the smallest.

I've been talking to the Amplified Nation guys about a 1x15 combo cabinet for my TR Kimock Sig. Leaning strongly towards the Jensen neo 15-150 for it. I remember how the amp sounded with a 200W EV in it, just couldn't hack the weight of that particular cabinet.

I'll keep y'all posted Smile
plord

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went ahead and did it.

Amplified Nation 1x15 combo with a 150W Jensen Neo. 16 ohm speaker on the 8 ohm tap, per the local tribal custom Razz Total Weight is about 52 lbs, so not exactly a grab and go amp but was more manageable than the head and 2x12. The speaker needs some work to break in, but it seems like it will allow some more colorful EQ settings than the 12-65s; it doesn't start to hair up when you set the bass control past 8 o'clock for example.

Looking forward to putting some hours on it and recording a few clips for ya Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: