Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Harmonic Experience
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Harmonic Experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the discussion!

As far as actual practice, it's not a 100% full-out JI thing. Getting a handle on a few sounds and "moves" and using them when you can.

Thing is: You probably already ARE using this "stuff" quite a bit, and just haven't organized your thoughts about it all.

Ever "tweak" a Note just a little? You know, that little Twang or Vocal Inflection of a Bluesy Note?

Ever wonder just why you felt it was appropriate/needed?

I always did. And that led me to the mess you've been reading about in this Thread.

Seriously though, check the other Threads and Forums linked in the previous Posts. You can go to The Gear Page and do a search for Just Intonation, or Kimock, or Blues, and you'll probably find quite a lot of information.

Happy Hunting!

Oh yeah, maybe pick up a copy of the book "Harmonic Experience", as it's the book this Thread is talking about in the OP.
Swain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I had an idea I'm going to explore some.

I have been looking at the 5 Limit/12 Note Lattice.

As I looked at the Triads within this small Lattice, I started really thinking about the idea of "Functional Harmony" as it pertains to this Lattice.

I will be re-doing the Exercises in the Chapter, and re-listening to the Chordal Movements, etc.

But, the idea hit me that this Lattice shows some nice Movement that is not what I'd find in a Diatonic Theory Exercise or setting. And I want to explore the idea of the FUNCTION that each Triad can perform within these movements.

Idea

One quick idea is this one:

C Cm Ab Fm

Each of these Triads shares 2 of their 3 Notes with the next Triad.

I could extend this out, but this is just 1 Example.

I like the sound of this, and do hear some Harmony. But, I also definately hear some Motion. So, delving into this Motion, will reveal some Functional Processes, I think.

Stop me if I seem way off base here! Embarassed

Now, this is just a cursory observation on my part. And I haven't yet really thought this out. Much less, looked into the Overtonal Relationships.

Work to do!
huw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting thing. I've just begun to re-read Schoenberg's book "Structural Functions Of Harmony", which is one that I struggled with as a music student, but I always wanted to return to because I could see that it was a problem on my side, and that the book was worth my effort.

Anyway, very early on in the book he introduces his "table of regions", which is central to his conceptualisation of harmony, and to his idea of "monotonality" in particular.

Anyone else think that it looks familiar:

Hint: rotate the image 90% clockwise, and you have a harmonic map, a la H.E., with a spine of 5ths running horizontaly, and 3rds running vertically.

Great minds think alike, huh?

I don't know if it's due to my reading of H.E., but the Schoenberg seems to be clearer to me this time through.

Smile
Swain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Huw, thanks for that!

I think I'll have to get that book soon and see just how much more I can get a better picture of these concepts.

Hopefully, it'll answer some of my questions and help me to know where I'm on or off track.
huw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swain - it's a great book, but it's heavy going. More so than HE in some respects!

Hope you like it!

Smile
Swain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huw wrote:
Here's an interesting thing. I've just begun to re-read Schoenberg's book "Structural Functions Of Harmony", which is one that I struggled with as a music student, but I always wanted to return to because I could see that it was a problem on my side, and that the book was worth my effort.

Anyway, very early on in the book he introduces his "table of regions", which is central to his conceptualisation of harmony, and to his idea of "monotonality" in particular.

Anyone else think that it looks familiar:

Hint: rotate the image 90% clockwise, and you have a harmonic map, a la H.E., with a spine of 5ths running horizontaly, and 3rds running vertically.

Great minds think alike, huh?

I don't know if it's due to my reading of H.E., but the Schoenberg seems to be clearer to me this time through.

Smile

After looking further into these areas, I just reaffirmed that I was indeed keeping things pretty "In", or close to the vest, with the Example I had posted.

Coming back now, I see how it all relates to this chart by Schoenberg.

I will be finally getting this book soon.

I had a question about the chart you posted.
How is Dorian relating to all of the Chordal Qualities in this Chart?

I see it there to the left of the (Or, Below) SubDominant. But I'm not clear on why this Mode sneaks into what seems to be a Chord Map???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: