Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Circle of Fifths Info and Very Usable Scales Book
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting†††

Circle of Fifths Info and Very Usable Scales Book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Practice, practice, practice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavaspin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Circle of Fifths Info and Very Usable Scales Book Reply with quote

For those out there who are like me and still piecing together the fretboard, I thought I'd pass on a couple sources that I find really accessible.

First, I happened across this link that I think does a great job of shedding light on the Circle of Fifths, which seemed so mystifying to me before, plus providing a great memory phrase that helps in all sorts of ways, including remembering sharps and flats in various keys. The author's description ties it well to the fret board. Now maybe I'll tackle that Circle of Fifths tome that Steve referred to on his site! here's the link:

http://guitar.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_memorize_the_guitar_fretboard_part_i

Second, I've checked out a lot of stuff on scales, videos, etc., and the most usable I've seen is prepared by David Poole, who teaches at AIM. He has a small little binder you can buy from his website called simply "Guitar Scales." Each mode shows the five positions on the fretboard, and also gives you the interval differences. There's about 21 scales covered, including stuff like the bebop 8-note scale, which I recently learned elsewhere was Jerry Garcia's weapon of choice (provides a much better understanding for how to play "like Jerry" (at least for me) than that normally stated, which is that he played "chromatically"). Here's a link to Poole's site:

http://poolemusicproductions.com/

Also check out this little exercise Poole put up on the web, using sixth intervals, which I find addictive (I've since seen Jimmy Herring show this exercise on a video up on youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REQsfPa7-Fw[/url]
thomaswhite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, I just like the valuable info you provide for your articles. Iíll bookmark your weblog and take a look at once more right here regularly. Custom essay writing service will give you opportunity to spend more free time with friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Practice, practice, practice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: