Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Dark Star Orchestra (DSO)
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Dark Star Orchestra (DSO)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Turn us on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sashapie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Dark Star Orchestra (DSO) Reply with quote

Any DSO fans out there?

I love them and have seem them several times.

Steve K. sat in with them on 9/4/03. A very special show. It can be downloaded at:

www.darkstarorchestra.net

Enjoy!
57tele

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're a very nice band and those shows with Steve are really good. I had a chance to play with Scott Larned (the keys guy) on a gig last year and I thought he was quite good.
slopeside

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like them, though not sure how i feel when they play their own set vs being a tribute band recreating a show! Confused

i always had a good time! Cool
Reaction Jackson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I really like these guys, well...for a number of reasons. Reason one, and quite possibly most importantly, they create some of my favorite music I've found in this world so far. Secondly, they are so dead on it is somewhat scary. I appreciate the subtle nuances they incorporate into their performances. Lastly, just seeing them play, they seem to be very professional level musicians, of which I'm always happy to see perform.
Eric_n_Bend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Mixed feelings Reply with quote

Saw these guys last night for the first time. I found them to be impressive yet pathetic at the same time. Too much talent on stage to just be 'Grateful Dead Impersonators'. It was good to see Barraco on keys but he didn't sing a tune. <shame>

Not to discount their ability to play, but what they are doing has been done before. And done much better at that. People are taping these shows?!?! Taping shows of recreated shows that have already been recorded?!?! Maybe it is me, but I just don't get that.
pdxtom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mixed feelings Reply with quote

Eric_n_Bend wrote:
Not to discount their ability to play, but what they are doing has been done before. And done much better at that. People are taping these shows?!?! Taping shows of recreated shows that have already been recorded?!?! Maybe it is me, but I just don't get that.

Reminds me of a discussion I had with an ardent DSO fan who felt that their performance of the GD's 7-18-76 Orpheum gig was better than the original!

My view is that these are great musicians, but I would much prefer that they drop the song-for-song show re-creation and go for a more spontaneous approach with (at least) their own setlists. Someone told me that they went so far as to recreate the spot in a particular show where Phil originally broke & replaced a bass string! That's too much for me. There's nothing wrong with emulating and performing music that you love but, for me, it's boring to try and repeat it note for note.

That's why the DSO shows where Steve has played with them work great - he makes it all new with his musical statements.
57tele

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion is fine provided 1) it stays on the general topic of covering material; 2) it avoids "your favorite band sucks" kind of dialog that plagues many forums. In other words, intelligent conversation about playing other people's music = cool; rag on a player, band, or even a type of gig= thread lock and deletion. Keep it constructive and respectful. As the old Navy joke goes, bear in mind that Tuesday could easily be your turn in the barrel.
Northshore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO comment. Though I'm with the dude from Bend OR. and his thoughts 110%. The taping thing is even more hillarious.

There's too much great music being played out there to be bothered with A Summer of Love version of Beatlemania.
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite common to recreate music from the past. The range is from the Beatles to Beethoven. I think that if it's done sincerely with respect, it's great. (This thought excludes any references to Elvis.)

My cousin plays in a group that recreates period music with original instruments (http://www.newportbaroque.org/). It can be a great thing to try to imagine hearing the music for the first time, as it was meant to be played. Who knows what'll be played in 100 years? I think that the DSO is doing a similar tribute.

As I've just won tickets from my radio station to see DSO on the 25th of this month, I'm looking forward to the experience. And if Steve get's lost on his way to New York, stop by Worcester.

The question is, "do they have a Wall of Sound?" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound

Maybe we'll save that for a generation or two down the road.
Evangeline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if opportunity knocks and I have a chance to go:
Dark Star Orchestra will be performing the Grateful Dead's infamous May 8, 1977 Barton Hall show on Tuesday May 8, 2007.

Sounds like from what I've read thus far I should check it out. . .
Frankenstrat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go if I lived anywhere near there. DSO has its place in the Universe. Heck, they have even recreated entire runs of GD tours past. Through Socal a few years ago, I believe the played a few shows in the exact same venues, on the same dates, playing the same setlists from like 1970 or so. Hey, if you weren't born until after 1970, and you were a fan of that period of the Dead's music, I think it would be kinda cool to have the ability to see something like that. That 9/4/03 show that Steve sat in on is REALLY good. Charlie Miller made a very fine recording of this night. That Hey Pocky jam goes to some really great places. Mike, it is very cool that you had an opportunity to play with Scott before his time came. He was really something, and a super nice person from what I've heard. That Steve fella sure gets to play with a lot of great players. It's impossible to NOT be jealous. Grateful Dead guys, Phish people, Meters cats (very long list), Dumbles, Two Rocks, Cripes, and a whole barn full of neat toys. I'm sure it's not all rainbows, butterlies, and jellibeans, but some incredible accomplishments to have achieved. I'm sure I'll see him at the Mystic soon, and get my head blown open....again. It sure is fun when everything is just right, and he REALLY hits you with that stuff that leaves you feeling like a little kid on a roller coaster again. You look at the people standing around you, and all of their faces have that same youthful look of astonishment. Those Fillmore homecoming shows were great, and I can't wait to do it again.
aiq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally went to hear them in DC a few years ago before I moved.

Sort of like Kimock, heard about them for many years before actually attending a performance. SK was also heard by myself in DC for the first time, the Bernie, Andy, Wally band.

Re:DSO. This was post JK. I thought they did a great job and the audience was certainly into it. I'm on the Gulf Coast now and they Don't hit down here very often but I would go back.

Similarly I thought I would hardly get Kimock but I have caught Voodoo Dead in NO and Steve hit town with Weir.

At this time and place I will take the music wherever I can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Turn us on All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: