Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Fretboard Memorization
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Fretboard Memorization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Practice, practice, practice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrassySound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Fretboard Memorization Reply with quote

I've been studying guitar for a little while, but I find memorizing notes on the fretboard very difficult. Of course I have the E strings down with no difficulty, but it seems quite tough for me to photographically memorize the notes on the other four strings. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance.
kimock

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fretboard Memorization Reply with quote

GrassySound wrote:
I've been studying guitar for a little while, but I find memorizing notes on the fretboard very difficult. Of course I have the E strings down with no difficulty, but it seems quite tough for me to photographically memorize the notes on the other four strings. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance.

If you're in PA sometime, just c'mon over and I'll show you some stuff that'll probably help. I could sit here typing for the rest of my life and it wouldn't teach you anything, but I could show you everything you need in about twenty minutes.
Ouch!

peace
Eric_n_Bend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're on!

How about 20 minutes in Denver Steve?
flavaham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this topic is old but I have a trick that helped me learn the neck that could be useful for someone browsing this forum.

It's called a "never-ending scale." It's pretty simple really. Start with the C major scale ( no sharps/flats). Start on the low e string. Play the note C (8th fret). Move to the A string and play the next note in the scale (D - 5th fret). Move to the D string and play the next scale degree (E - 2nd fret).

You get the idea. When you get to the high E, come right back down the strings. Use a metronome to keep your timing sharp. When you are comfortable doing it with C, move on to G (1 sharp -F#), then D, etc...

Pretty simple little drill and can get you familiar with the neck in a hurry!
jenniferbrownz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could sit here typing for the rest of my life and it wouldn't teach you anything, but I could show you everything you need in about twenty minutes. How about 20 minutes in Denver Steve?
online soundcloud converter, kissmanga grand blue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Practice, practice, practice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: