Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Varity Pack of questions
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Varity Pack of questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2_Djinn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Varity Pack of questions Reply with quote

Ive been playing lead guitar and it seems as if the "road blocks" are getting closer in frequency and more frustrating. I was thinking about asking a few question a few months ago and read a post where SK talked about "awareness". I applied this frame of mind to my own playing and things started happening a lil bit and I feel as if its time to take the next step.

No im not talking about getting a two-rock ....hahaha

Its been way overdue that I get into some music theory. So im looking for just a lil guidance to shove me in the direction that I need to get shoved into. So I guess I will start with this...(simple)

Ok...the band is playing a jam to Em

What Scales / Modes are going to give me that dark erie sound or that strange middle eastern sound ...

Changing tones here (no pun intended)

Hillbiles on PCP or Garcia's playing on Big River ect. Has that country kinda feel to it. Ive got somewhat close to it. How do you guys approach it?

I kinda feel like a poet/author that doesnt understand that language that he is writing in.
Ive typed and re-typed this post a few times. Its just hard to describe what im looking for in words on the internet. ANY help from you guys I would appreciate greatly. Links , books ect.
kimock

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Varity Pack of questions Reply with quote

2_Djinn wrote:
Ive been playing lead guitar and it seems as if the "road blocks" are getting closer in frequency and more frustrating. I was thinking about asking a few question a few months ago and read a post where SK talked about "awareness". I applied this frame of mind to my own playing and things started happening a lil bit and I feel as if its time to take the next step.

No im not talking about getting a two-rock ....hahaha

Its been way overdue that I get into some music theory. So im looking for just a lil guidance to shove me in the direction that I need to get shoved into. So I guess I will start with this...(simple)

Ok...the band is playing a jam to Em

What Scales / Modes are going to give me that dark erie sound or that strange middle eastern sound ...

Changing tones here (no pun intended)

Hillbiles on PCP or Garcia's playing on Big River ect. Has that country kinda feel to it. Ive got somewhat close to it. How do you guys approach it?

I kinda feel like a poet/author that doesnt understand that language that he is writing in.
Ive typed and re-typed this post a few times. Its just hard to describe what im looking for in words on the internet. ANY help from you guys I would appreciate greatly. Links , books ect.

For the E minor example, E F# G A B C D# E with an occasional B flat as a neighbor tone to B or A would fit the description.
I would also use that same fingering starting on B for an E minor sound.

The second question isn't so easy, as it concerns style as opposed to application. Know what I mean?
What scale vs."how to play in the style of"?

I'll wait for some other responses before I try to answer that one, my opinion on that subject being no more valid than the next. . .

Batter up!
Frankenstrat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Hillbillies/Big River thing, what I usually do is a combination of four different scales. I like the dominant 7th pentatonic with a slippery third. Slippery being alternating between (in the context of the key of E) playing a quick G, and G#. Or a longer bend that covers both. But playing the flatted third like a minor pentatonic works too in some places. Of course then there's always good old mixolydian mode, and major pentatonic. Then you can toss in some flatted 5th tritones (Bb). I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two, it's a little tricky from work without a guitar in my hands.

Now let me ask Steve a question, before he tears my pitiful analysis to shreds. LOL

Do you think there'll be some more Rhythm Devils this summer? Twisted Evil
57tele

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To really answer the Hillbillies thing, I'll bet you first have to go back and listen to the first two Roy Buchanan records. Smile
brookflyman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: does this work? Reply with quote

Im looking for the answers to those same ideas myself and after playing and pondering and asking lots of questions its been explained to me (in the shortest but most awesome guitar lesson ive ever had) that i cant think "Scale, or mode" to come up with a certain style or idea. I of course need to know a few but the sweet sounds and notes come from feeling and playing what notes need to come out! So, after playing scales up and down, up and down, majors, minors, dorian, mixo...ect....all I was playing was the scale. Soooo, with a little guidance ive been studying all I can get my hands on as far as intervalic guitar playing. Im trying to look at the fret board as steps to get to where i feel like going, using 3rds, 5ths, 7ths ect...then if i need a rest ill sit on a scale for a little while then when im ready ill explore just where the sound will take me, simply using the root notes of the scale to catapult me into the subcontious zone. Watching Steve I see lots of big bold jumps, that skip the boring notes and get right to the eyebrow raising notes. Same thing with a guy named Carl Verheyen, who seems less improv but still digging deeper than the norm. Im trying to think, and not think at the same time as I play. Its taking me in a different direction. Its been frustrating but when im getting into it very rewarding and im like, "did i just play that"
kimock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

57tele wrote:
go back and listen to the first two Roy Buchanan records. Smile

That would be the correct answer for any guitar related question around here!

Very Happy
Jeff Kushmerek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while on the subject of hillbillies, does everyone play this Drop D? I was listening to 43/98 KVHW and figured it to be Fmaj/d pent open with the drop D

What a fun song to (try to) play!
lalaland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its open D, AFAIK.

Big open chord with the bottom three strings open, fifth fret on the G.

Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: