Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Playing - I just don't get it......
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

Playing - I just don't get it......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Practice, practice, practice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are people predisposed to play music?
Yes, it is a left-brain/right-brain thing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, suck it up and Practice until you bleed Eric
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

Eric_n_Bend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Playing - I just don't get it...... Reply with quote

I have been hacking around the fret board now for over 15 years. Played rhythm in a local band a few years back but for all practical purposes, I suck. It is so hard for me to learn the simplest of riffs, as I always need to know WHY these note work and WHY I am playing them.

On the flip side, I believe that I am a guitar aficionado. I have always loved the sound of the guitar and drop anything for the chance to catch Master-level players play. But as far as learning this skill........I might as well be trying to learn Japanese from a deaf Mexican man.

I am wondering if any of you would agree with me that some people are predisposed to play music while others clearly are not.

My girlfriend's son who just turned 18 is a fine example. He just breathes music. Piano or guitar, this kid's stage presence reminds me so much of Steve's. Humble and in the moment musically, like he is playing catch in the backyard regardless of who he is playing with or what they are playing.

Please don't worry about offending me, but can someone really LEARN to play music like this or is there something that the individual has to be born with to have a musical mind as I describe? I hear “practice, practice, practice” but I have been, and I just Don't Get It.

Circle of Fifths???? Isn't that a drink special in Moscow?

Admitting that I have a problem is the first step to recovery......
Frankenstrat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric,
Nice to meet you, thanks for chiming in. Yeah, this board has a lot of ups & downs as far as activity goes. For me personally, this is pretty much exactly where I am, only with vocals. I have tried to make improvements, and have to some degree. But more & more I get the feeling that truly great vocals are something that you have to be born with. Then again, I definitely can put more effort & time into it, but it's not so bad that I am embarrased by it. Almost though. We are all different, and all wired in our own little ways. I've known guys that have been playing for 20+ years, and still aren't that great. But they still play, and at least, try to have fun with it. Which is the greatest benefit of being a participant, rather than a spectator. Being a spectator is a lot of fun though. I wonder if Steve wouldn't mind chiming in on what was the last performance he observed without being a participant. I am curious to know that if he still has time to go out & see a show here & there of a performer that he really digs. As far as what noted to play, and why you play them, I guess the first question I would ask you is...do you know all of your intervals, and how multiple tone chords get their names? That generally coincides with note selection, and how to best decide what notes should go where. I guess it's like Anorexia, it's not for everyone.

Rubadub

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Why you PLAY music... Reply with quote

In the improv folder, I asked a related question, kinda.
IMO you don't need to be a virtuoso to enjoy the process of making music;before radio, electricity, etc, Gramps had a 6 string, Granny had a banjo, and Uncle Tupelo played the washtub-they played together, and sang,and if it was "bad" music, they still played, and the hills still echoed.
I'd classify music as something that is utilitarian,
and makes us happy.
who needs the license of virtuosity to use that tool?
Now, if your gigs are haunted, well, keep your day job.
Hambone Sparklewell
kimock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody is musical, beyond that I don't get it either.
Just play and have fun with it, if it's not fun, go do something else.
Pick it back up after you get yer ya ya's out, maybe that'll feel right. . .

peace
TaylorWauchope

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: DatingStudio Reply with quote

For a long time I could not find the right dating person until my friend advised me. I chose the categories of the person I see near me. Here https://www.datingstudio.com/ you will find the person you are looking for. Use you will not regret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Practice, practice, practice All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: