Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - The Norva 3/7/09--Steve's Rig?
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

The Norva 3/7/09--Steve's Rig?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Steve's music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobbes1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: The Norva 3/7/09--Steve's Rig? Reply with quote

i was recently turned on to Steve's music via his prescence on the Gear Page. i was fortunate enough to have a ticket and be able to see him and his current lineup at The Norva last night and i was blown away. the music made my hair stand on end and gave me goosebumps and that doesn't happen too often with current music. i was even fortunate enough to be front and center leaning on the guard rail so i could hear Steve's Two Rock dead on as well as the FOH mix. Steve, your band was tight and just great. it looked like you were switching between midi/synth cables and regular guitar cable during different parts of the show. can you share with me what aspect of your rig is comprised by the synth/midi (eg: what gear is that...sounded like some pitch shifting, octave effects there at times)
on another note, i saw some tapers there and wonder if anyone could give me a hand locating a copy of the show. i'd love to have it as the memory of the (hopefully) first of many shows to be seen. i've checked the internet archive but nothing there as of yet. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Lee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: recordings from The Norva 3/7/09 Reply with quote

There is a listserve devoted to shows and such, where a link was posted about obtaining recordings of the show.

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll91/charliemiller87/ce.jpg

Available later this week....address is listed on the photo.
hobbes1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect. thanks a ton for the link. can't wait to relive the good music.
57tele

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to imagine Steve was using any sort of midi thing in this gig, but who nose? Still, I'm guessing you were just seeing those big straight copper wire cables with the big ends that he uses.

There's some nice vid of the show here:

http://dibella5.com/Crazy%20Engine%202009-03-07.htm

(only works in IE, not Firefox))
hobbes1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. well, it looked like something of the sort as there were at times, two different cable plugged in to a guitar. one of which appeared to be the standard guitar cable and the other looked to be either an XLR or MIDI type of plug on it. it seemed to be some sort of non-standard guitar cable and co-incided with a synth type of sound blended in with the standard two rock sound. it could have been pitch shifting/octave doubling i suppose. it sounded good but different than i expected. i'm gonna check out the video now. thanks!
(hopefully, steve will chime in and clarify that aspect of the rig he was running)
57tele

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobbes1 wrote:
hi. well, it looked like something of the sort as there were at times, two different cable plugged in to a guitar. one of which appeared to be the standard guitar cable and the other looked to be either an XLR or MIDI type of plug on it. it seemed to be some sort of non-standard guitar cable and co-incided with a synth type of sound blended in with the standard two rock sound. it could have been pitch shifting/octave doubling i suppose. it sounded good but different than i expected. i'm gonna check out the video now. thanks!
(hopefully, steve will chime in and clarify that aspect of the rig he was running)

Interesting. Let's see what Steve has to say about it. I believe his Cripe (which I see in the video) has an inboard loop, maybe it had something to do with that?
plord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, both Steve's Cripe and Scott Walker guitars have onboard FX loops in the guitar on a separate jack. and if I'm not mistaken, he has a new guitar with a new feature that hopefully he will tell us about Smile

But the FX loop lets Steve put anything-- typically a Mutron filter, maybe also a Tonebender-- into the signal chain in between the pickups and the guitar volume knob, all before it goes out the "normal" cable to the amp. That setup can get awfully synthy/rubbery/howly at times. I haven't heard Steve using an octave recently, although I believe he owns and likes the Mutron Octave.
hobbes1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like really cool features on the Cripe. that's the first i have heard of that type of setup and reminds me of jerry garcia and frank zappa in the way they experimented with onboard routing of effects in the guitar.

btw, the link to video footage seems to be dead. all i get in IE is a loop of U2 audio while the media player searches, unsuccessfully, for the footage. maybe try uploading it again? will there be any of this footage "officially" released at some point, as that would be the ultimate, seeing and hearing that great show..or others on this tour.
thanks
57tele

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like the video is not longer available. Don't know who actually posted it, so don't know if it ill be back up.
hobbes1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, well there was a guy (one of the roadies?) who intermittently came to the area in front of the stage and behind the barrier, who was filming with a hand held camcorder during the show. there were several photographers in there as well. hopefully, the guy shooting the camcorder footage will make that available again.
57tele

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is back up and active. Might have been unavailable while he was uploading this lower BW version:

http://dibella5.com/Crazy%20Engine%20256k.htm
hobbes1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downloading that. thanks for the link. looking forward to checking it out.
kimock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Norva 3/7/09--Steve's Rig? Reply with quote

hobbes1 wrote:
can you share with me what aspect of your rig is comprised by the synth/midi (eg: what gear is that...sounded like some pitch shifting, octave effects there at times)

No midi hobbes, I'm stuck in the '40's technologically with a few exceptions, digital reverb and the pre-amp in the guitar mostly.
The effects were a Mu-tron octave divider and a Mu-tron envelope follower.
They both kinda almost were working that night, almost.

I have two guitars with the loop in them, the Cripe with the 3 Z90's, and the Walker with the two humbuckers, Both neck-through, both CB1 pre-amp, the same unity gain buffer thing that John Cutler designed for Garcia all those years ago. Works good, doesn't reverse the phase either. NICE!

Glad you could make it to the show, hope we see you again!
hobbes1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks for the clarification, steve. you were getting really cool sounds from that rig, both the cleanish two rock and the mutron stuff. i've been playing guitar and bass off and on over the last 20 years or so and i can appreciate all of things you were doing with respect to swapping guitars, adding and subtracting cables, flipping switches, adding effects, adjusting the amps, moving from slide to standup, etc. i know you are a professional and it's your bread and butter, but how much effort is it to stay on top of all that gig after gig? is it just second nature now? or does it drive you nuts trying to make it all work....just curious.

btw, that was the first time i had heard a two rock up close and personal. being right in front of the amp, i was really impressed with that clean to slightly broken up sound you were getting. is the amp stock? maybe you have discussed this particular amp already (if so, i'll try to hunt it up on the site. )
kimock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobbes1 wrote:
hey, thanks for the clarification, steve. you were getting really cool sounds from that rig, both the cleanish two rock and the mutron stuff. i've been playing guitar and bass off and on over the last 20 years or so and i can appreciate all of things you were doing with respect to swapping guitars, adding and subtracting cables, flipping switches, adding effects, adjusting the amps, moving from slide to standup, etc. i know you are a professional and it's your bread and butter, but how much effort is it to stay on top of all that gig after gig? is it just second nature now? or does it drive you nuts trying to make it all work....just curious.

It's more or less second nature. I was a big fan of the early synthesized music and hardware, and always thought of the guitar effects patching, routing and rerouting as a primitive analog synth approach. It doesn't drive me nuts, but it drives everybody else crazy. Too bad!

Quote:
btw, that was the first time i had heard a two rock up close and personal. being right in front of the amp, i was really impressed with that clean to slightly broken up sound you were getting. is the amp stock? maybe you have discussed this particular amp already (if so, i'll try to hunt it up on the site. )

None of my stuff is "stock". It's all some work in progress developmental stage misc. science experiment that me and Bill are always in the middle of.
The amp to your left was basically a Type 3, dual rectified thing with some odd, old parts in it, and the other amp that night was basically a gainier variation with a different phase inverter that wasn't working exactly as well as I had hoped. It got a lot better by the second night, and by the time I get to California it'll be hittin' on all cylinders. The Type 3 type thing is my regular amp, but I'm looking forward to getting more playing time on this latest variant.

peace!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Steve's music All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: