Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - The Major Scale
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

The Major Scale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: The Major Scale Reply with quote

I thought I'd try to pick everybody's Brains, here.

I'd like to know a little more about where the Major Scale came from. Not really the entire "History" of it. But, more of the mechanical side of things.

Is it just a bunch of stacked 5ths.?

How did it get condensed into 1 Octave, as a more conventional "Scale"?

That type of thing.

If more history is needed, than fine. Just whatever you guys care to share.

I know that there are other Threads that touch on this. And I thought about posting on TGP. But, I really wanted to have a place to consolidate some of this information. And TGP gets a little bit too close to the old, "Too many Cooks in the kitchen" type of situation.
And I wanted to do more of this conversation, within the confines of a setting like this one. One where everybody is open to the types of Concepts that Mr. Kimock talks of. Dissenting opinions are more than welcome here. But, I didn't want to see the whole Thread de-railed by the multitudes of TGP. Laughing

Anyway, I hope someone jumps in here...............
Swain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some things I think are correct. Please let me know, if I'm off on any of this.

Taking a Tonic, or a Literal Tonal Center, and multiplying the frequency of this Tone by Prime Numbers, will yield the other Notes that can be Related or Consonant to the Tonic.

Multiplying the Tonic by 2 yields an Octave.
By 3 yields a Perfect 5th.
By 5 yields a 3rd.
By 7 yields a 7th.

All of the relationships between the Tonic and each of these other Tones, can be expressed as different Ratios.
Once you find these Ratios, you can Multiply or Divide these Tones (Frequencies) but their Ratios stay the same.
This is how the Various Tones can be "Compressed" into a single Octave, and seen as a "Tonal Family", or "Key(?)".

So far, so good? Question
Swain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. 86 Views, and no thoughts on the Major Scale? Really?

Confused

Besides talking Gear, is there a Topic under the heading of "Performance And Improvisation" that anyone would like to discuss?
Swain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda interesting, how the D in C is really a 5th. of a 5th.

You can really hear that one!

So, the M2nd. on the Fretboard, is twice the distance from the LTC than the 5th.!

J-R

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: major scale Reply with quote

No expert no how here but... there is the geometric division of a string (1/2 = one octave = a *true* doubling of frequency - Pythagoras had something to do with the West's understanding of this, i believe, but what we know as the 12 tone scale is possibly somewhat arbitrary, an overlay, if you will, of pitches (defined by measuring off arbitrary divisions of Pythagoras' string (don't say it...)) like the fret spacings of a guitar or dulcimer. Think about the fretless intruments - you get to define your own pleasing pitch. Perhaps someone with some real knowledge would care to comment. J.R.
Swain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH!!!

J-R,

Glad to see someone else active around here! Smile

Hang around, and maybe we can get Clifford over here and the three of us can unravel some of this stuff. I know Lalaland lurks, too.

Anyway, I will try to respond a little moe about this topic, as I wake up.

The "OUCH!" was from looking at the Thread on TriTone Subs. Exclamation

I am systematically going through every post on this Forum, and also working (Just started) through Harmonic Experience. So, I hadn't gotten to that TriTone post yet.

Until I saw your New Post. So, I just had to see what was going on. "Ouch!" was me thinking, "I really need to wake up in the morning, before I try to read this stuff. Laughing

I can't comment on that topic yet. But, I'm getting there!

Check the "Master Class" video Link I posted the other day. Pretty cool!

Anyway, good to see you on the Board.

Ciao for now!
Swain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm at Chapter 6 in HE, "The Swan".

So, I see that it's the Spine Of Fifths, with Major Thirds radiating upwards from each Fifth. So far.

E B F#
^ ^ ^

C G D

Not just Stacked Fifths.

This may be the partial answer to a question I had.
"Just how far out do we take Octave Reduction, before we're losing sight of the original Tonality?"
This turning the corner into the 3rds. off of the Spine Of 5ths. may help to keep everything within a more managable range.

We shall see...............

Now, if I'm off base, everyone please feel free to correct me.

Gotta go hang out with The Swan now............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Performance and Improvisation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: