Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - new amp please advise
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Chat Users Currently Chatting   

new amp please advise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dr z or Fender
Fender
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Dr Z
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

frontbum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: new amp please advise Reply with quote

Hello ,
I was hoping I could hear some input on my issue.

About two months ago hurt my back so I am forced to use a lighter amp.
I have used a fender blues Jr. and really enjoyed giging with that but was forced to sell because of an ongoing blowing of the accutronics reverb tank
From there I went with a Dr Z monza 1-10 (High Gain ) 20 watt combo.No good for me ,too LOUD.Also,not enough cleans to play the Kimock stuff in my cover band.
So what I am looking for is a 12 inch combo thats small enough to do the job at hand.I have been looking at builders and even thought about a amp kit.I just don't want to make the wrong choice again like with the Monza(Dr.z).I can't afford Two Rock but maybe something in the middle $2000ish.
frontbum

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: New Amp please advise Reply with quote

I guess my question should be What would Steve use if he needed a new 1 -12 combo?Again the two rock is out'a my range
ER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Red Plate amps.
buddyrama

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Plate! I have a non- od Blackverb 1x12 that is outstanding. About the size of a Princeton, loaded with great features. Great cleans and more. Henry will build you any thing you want. Mine cost $2000.00, I will never sell it. If I have to keep only one amp, that is the one.
HaasSauce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how loud and pristine you need the cleans to go, but a louis electric deluxe buster could fit the bill. Pretty small & light, loud for its size, and good headroom before breakup.
kimock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Amp please advise Reply with quote

frontbum wrote:
I guess my question should be What would Steve use if he needed a new 1 -12 combo?Again the two rock is out'a my range

Probably a Fender or two, same basic deal as Frisell these days if you've seen him lately. A pair of little combos.

Same thing that Ry Cooder's been doing, come to think of it, although he does use a 4x10 bassman along with another combo in larger rooms. Two Fenders anyway. . .

The Jensen Neo series speakers are very light weight and good sounding, I used one in a little modern Fender, probably a blues Jr. last year in Europe, and it sounded very good.

I've never heard anybody get a bad sound out of Dr Z, but I can dig the headroom exception.
The best way around that is to use a pair of smallish amps imo.
The one big amp, say Twin Reverb for example, doesn't get the juice or animation you get in the sound of a pair of little amps interacting, if you don't need the high volume part of the equation.

If I was gonna be stuck with one small combo, I'd go for a Deluxe Reverb with a JBL.
If the weight was still a factor, I'd try the Neo.

Good luck! Hope that helps!!
Peter700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Acoustic Offers Reply with quote

The phrase encapsulates a quest for counsel, navigating through the myriad of sound-related options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: