Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - LXP-1 Phasing issue with my SIB Echodrive
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

LXP-1 Phasing issue with my SIB Echodrive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavaspin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: LXP-1 Phasing issue with my SIB Echodrive Reply with quote

To anybody who is left on this site, I've got a question. I'm running my LXP in front of the amp (got the mod about 4 months ago and absolutely love it! It blows away any clean drive pedal). I have an SIB red Echodrive that I also would ordinarily run in front of the amp and in front of the LXP (another big piece of gear but very phat). However, when I engage it with the LXP also in the lineup, it has no volume (have to crank it all the way up), which seems like an out of phase problem.

I'm assuming there really isn't a fix for this, except to only use one or the other, or run one of them through the effects loop (haven't tried that but I'm assuming it would fix the phasing problem). Anyone have thoughts?

Also, I'll just say its a bit of a bummer that the activity on this site has dropped off. I liked it a lot. Not too many posts but always pretty relevant posts for me.

All the best!
57tele

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: LXP-1 Phasing issue with my SIB Echodrive Reply with quote

lavaspin wrote:
To anybody who is left on this site, I've got a question. I'm running my LXP in front of the amp (got the mod about 4 months ago and absolutely love it! It blows away any clean drive pedal). I have an SIB red Echodrive that I also would ordinarily run in front of the amp and in front of the LXP (another big piece of gear but very phat). However, when I engage it with the LXP also in the lineup, it has no volume (have to crank it all the way up), which seems like an out of phase problem.

I'm assuming there really isn't a fix for this, except to only use one or the other, or run one of them through the effects loop (haven't tried that but I'm assuming it would fix the phasing problem). Anyone have thoughts?

Also, I'll just say its a bit of a bummer that the activity on this site has dropped off. I liked it a lot. Not too many posts but always pretty relevant posts for me.
All the best!

Can't say I've ever had a problem with any of the dozens of effects I've put in front of the LXP1 over he years, so I'm just taking some wild guesses here. Doesn't sound exactly like a phasing problem to me. Usually phasing will result in a thinner or different sound, but the volume drop isn't usually that dramatic (not that it's impossible). You can see it's a phasing issue by just getting a couple of banana plugs with 1/4 inch ends and reversing the bananas back and forth. See this thread if you aren't familiar with banana plugs:

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/SteveKimock/viewtopic.php?t=171&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I assume you've reversed the order of the effects and also tried other combinations of the LXP1 inputs and outputs?

Traffic here has gone up and down here over the years. People are still around, just haven't been moved to post. All it takes is a few folks to get rolling.
lavaspin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SIB Echodrive has a tube in it. I wonder if that would make a difference? Been playing without the pedal board lately but will hook it up and try some of the options you're suggesting. I remember looking for those banana plugs online a year or so ago and had no luck.
57tele

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sewelldirect.com/articles/BananaPlugCentral.aspx
Arnie J

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavaspin wrote:
The SIB Echodrive has a tube in it. I wonder if that would make a difference? Been playing without the pedal board lately but will hook it up and try some of the options you're suggesting. I remember looking for those banana plugs online a year or so ago and had no luck.
Quote:

If the echodrive is a copy of the old ep1 echoplex which seems likely, the output will be out of phase with the input. The problem I see with using bananas to flip the phase is there goes your shielding. You could experiment by reverse wiring a 1/4" cable. It'd be noisy as hell but would expose a phase issue if thats the problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Gear talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: