Steve Kimock Discussion :: View topic - Steve's music in film/doc tv?
Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index

Steve Kimock Discussion
The Official Steve Kimock Discussion Group

www.Kimock.com

Buy Steve Kimock's New CD

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Chat Users Currently Chatting

Steve's music in film/doc tv?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Steve's music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanaLH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Steve's music in film/doc tv? Reply with quote

hi all,
this is my first post to this most excellent board, and many thanks for it, btw.
well, i was wondering what other people, including Steve, thought about composing for, or the pairing of his music with film, and or doc tv? or maybe he already has had some music in film? (I think Jerry did some work with/for F.F. Coppola, as did Bobby Vega on a Vietnam documentary.)

personally, i'd love to hear Ice Cream or a Long Form in a non-verbal scene, to set a scene, transition, create a mood, or in a long, panning exterior, atmosphere shot, etc. or Life of the Party or Tongue n' Groove in an underwater/aquatic documentary. (i know somebody said they actually heard some SKB on the Weather Channel's playlist....which means my Mom has enjoyed SKB w/o even realizing it!) Wink

i'm also curious, Steve, if there are any directors, shows, or subjects that you have ever considered wanting to compose for, or that you'd consider a good fit for your songs? and, is there any music, whether popular or not, in film that you were particularly impressed with, that you thought worked particularly well?

just something i've been thinking about,
Dana

ps--i.e., John Williams who scored nearly all, if not all, of Speilberg's films. AAmazing....the 5 main notes of Close Encounters alone are unforgettable, not to mention Jaws. his is an interesting career--totally dedicated to music, also from a very young age.
and then there's Tarantino, & Scorsese's use of music has always been keen, with music placement always being a priority for him in filmmaking.
...miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost
mikecornett

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think Steve's styling would fit more in the styling of a Bill Frisell (Finding Forrester)/Ry Cooder (Man on the Train) mood than say something as extensive as John Williams.

I know Jerry did Zebriskie Point, along w/ Pink Floyd. Jerry's stuff on that was in a similar styling, but very very rough.
Bakersfield,CA
DanaLH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i agree....
John Williams just came to mind as I'd recently watched the Kennedy Center thing where he was honored, and I had no idea the same guy had done all Spielberg's music. (he's Oscar-nominated again, of course, for The Terminal)

Frizell and Cooder's stuff in those films are great examples.

also, Daniel Lanois in/for Million Dollar Hotel (Wim Wenders) (and Frizell also contributed to this), Slingblade (Thornton), Last of the Mohicans (Mann), and Until the End of the World (Wenders)......Lanois is tremendous. and Petra Hayden in Hurly Burly. anybody else have any favorite soundtrack music in similar stylings, they'd recommend?

i wonder if Lindley has done soundtrack/score work? i'd have to think so. speaking of whom, off to hear Kaki King who toured w/ him last year at an Ameoba instore now....would love to see her open for SKB sometime,

Dana
kimock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.T.F.?
First post I've seen on this board that I think is totally off topic.
DanaLH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: uh--well--whooops-a-daisy... Reply with quote

jeez... and here i really thought it did fit in w/ the "writing & composing" category. oh, woe is me. Crying or Very sad nothing like being wrong, wrong again---- sorry, but didn't see it as being that far out...guess writing and composing for film is NOT in the cards.

ps--anyhow, Mr. Cornett, thanks for the Cooder suggestion...his film Anthology (w/ Lindley) is fabulous.
kimock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dana,
I have done some music for film with Pete Sears and I think there have been bits used along the way for other things, not exactly sure what. The problem I have with the issue of the use of my music for film, is that I'm not the person that's using my music for film. Some film maker is. The information is just kind of going in the wrong direction. It's speculative and ultimately not my call how any of my work is used after it's recorded. My son John Morgan is always joking about the opening chords of Ice Cream in a Verizon commercial. Da da de da da... Can you hear me now? See what I mean? It's just not up to me.

I think my role here should be specifically technically informative with the music and the gear and should be including my opinion only when it's based on my own direct experience with either the music or gear. Your post had me sprirallng off into areas that I have no connection to or ability to influence.

I appreciate your contribution to the list, but please ask me what my speaker cabinets are made of, or something like that, that I can actually answer.

Peace,
Kimock
mikecornett

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found his post to be quite on target for this section, which describes specific aspects of your performance and/or recording. "Have you considered doing" and/or "have you done" are about as direct as you can possibly get and can only be answered by you.
Bakersfield,CA
DanaLH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Well...exactly 5 years later, but MAN... u did it Reply with quote

and, oddly, 5 yrs literally to the DAY of my original post....synchronistic bizarro.

Kudos to the NYGuitarFest for brainstorming and bringing together the old silent film improv score performances tonight w/ Justin (aka Bon Iver), then Steve. awesome idea.
but must say...kinda sucks I can't hear/see it. any video (preferably) or audiotape? Golly, gee, i hope there's SOME recording of this.

Soooooo,
"paging Mr. Kimock, pick up nearest white courtesy phone"...
Anybody go?
after all, inquiring minds would love to hear how it went, or rather how cool this eve surely was, please. Smile
kimock

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Well...exactly 5 years later, but MAN... u did it Reply with quote

DanaLH wrote:
and, oddly, 5 yrs literally to the DAY of my original post....synchronistic bizarro.

Kudos to the NYGuitarFest for brainstorming and bringing together the old silent film improv score performances tonight w/ Justin (aka Bon Iver), then Steve. awesome idea.
but must say...kinda sucks I can't hear/see it. any video (preferably) or audiotape? Golly, gee, i hope there's SOME recording of this.

Soooooo,
"paging Mr. Kimock, pick up nearest white courtesy phone"...
Anybody go?
after all, inquiring minds would love to hear how it went, or rather how cool this eve surely was, please. :)

It went great, was really fun, well received etc. Really nice hang with all the musicians, super cool, mellow, kind folks.
I think somebody got some video, at least that's what one of the venue crew told me, but I don't yet know who or for whom.
If I get a copy I'll let you know.

I'm also about to start working on the soundtrack for a movie about a beer bottle. Seriously. Beer bottle . . .
DanaLH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: niiiiiiiiiiiice a Beer Bottle Movie!? Reply with quote

whaaaaaaat?
hey, there ya go...there tis...now, THAT'S what i'm TALKIN about...
can't go wrong w/ a beer bottle film!

hopefully, XX! Wink

(Dos Equis, quiero decir,

or at least, Lagunitas... Uncensored!)

Keep us posted on the Worldwide Premier!
Roll End Title Credits:
"Prizewinning MicroBrew Music by Steve Kimock"
suuuuh-Wheat. Cool
cotatimike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to recall years ago I saw a film that had a band scene in Golden Gate Park...and Steve was playing guitar. Was it the film called '68 starring Neil Young?
Lee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: S. Kimock in film Reply with quote

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800340372/cast

Check cast listing under Music
staffskimpy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think Steve's styling would fit more in the styling of a Bill Frisell (Finding Forrester)/Ry Cooder (Man on the Train) mood than say something as extensive as John Williams.
Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steve Kimock Discussion Forum Index -> Steve's music All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: